(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: 3" PVC Repair Coupling

Angry 3" PVC Repair Coupling

I'm new to the forums as a "poster" though I've learned much from reading about plumbing issues here in the past. I am adding a new kitchen island with a 2" PVC drain and AAV. I plan to connect to existing 3" horizontal drain using PVC WYE 3x2x3 fitting. My questions is: does the IPC allow use of 3" PVC repair couplings on both ends of the WYE? This fitting will be below existing floor and above a finished basement ceiling.

I believe I read that IPC does not allow no-hub or Fernco in finished space unless a access panel in provided (could not find any reference other than "welded connections"). My preference is to use the repair couplings, if allowed by IPC. Thanks for any insight!

Stan

Default repair couplings

You will either have to be one of the fastest people on Earth, or need 6 hands to install ANY 3" fitting using repair couplings. You MIGHT get one in place before it grabs the pipe, (but the odds are against it), but NEVER two of them.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They make these for PVC

And they are legal.

quote;; no-hub or Fernco

N0-Hub bands are designed for No-Hub cast-iron soil pipe ONLY, even though they can be fitted to plastic drainage, and "Fernco" type couplings are not allowed inside the building according to many codes. The "proper" "transition" coupling which is similar to a No-Hub but sized for plastic is allowable.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    You will either have to be one of the fastest people on Earth, or need 6 hands to install ANY 3" fitting using repair couplings. You MIGHT get one in place before it grabs the pipe, (but the odds are against it), but NEVER two of them.
    Thanks HJ- the speed with which I would have to install each coupling is my main concern. I may opt for the connectors Terry has suggested. My concern with them though is that they will be located in inaccessible space once I replace the floor and I thought code required access for Fernco.. I did check with my inspector and he too recommended the connector Terry shows in his response.

Thanks for getting back on my question!

Thanks Terry- as HJ noted I would have to work real fast with the PVC Repair couplings. From what I've read, there is a good chance the adhesive would be scraped from part of the surface as the coupling slides into place resulting in "do over". My inspector also suggested a banded coupling like you show, so I am likely to go with that. I still have an inclination to try the repair couplings in a mock-up where a fail wont matter- just to see if that can be done.

One additional question- the sink in the island will be small prep sink only- no DW or disposal. Can I run 1 1/2" Sched. 40 rather than 2" to the existing 3" horizontal? Distance will be about 12 ft and will run thru joists. Drilling and placing 1 1/2" between the joists would be easier. Plan is to use an AAV at the island for vent.

Thanks for your help in completing my remod!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A prep sink used 2" for the waste and 1.5" for the trap arm.
    That would be a good one to run by the inspector though.

The last prep sink I did was run in 2".
    Since they had a 2x8 floor system, we ran below some of the joists, near the wall.