Water for Icemaker

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert May

Reaction score
Should I supply hard water or soft water for the icemaker on my new refrigerator. Both are available with about the same difficulty.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only reason for not ingesting soft water would be if you are on a low sodium diet. RO water is NOT the same as "soft water". Hard water will give you cloudy cubes because of the suspended minerals in it. Some sites will say not to us RO water, but my icemakers, and others I service, have used it for decades without any problem, and with clear cubes.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The only reason for not ingesting soft water would be if you are on a low sodium diet.
Just how much sodium do you expect to get from ice cubes to make it a concern?

RO water is NOT the same as "soft water".
True. It is softer. RO filtration can affect the pH and also being the "universal solvent" that it is, can be "aggressive" in dissolving some metals such as copper.

Hard water will give you cloudy cubes because of the suspended minerals in it.

Yes, I do get nice clear cubes from RO water.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I use my RO to feed my icemaker also. When he said "soft water" I assumed he meant a salt water unit.

Even so, the amount of sodium that would be added to the diet from ice cubes made with soft water is so minuscule as to be laughable.

toddo

Reaction score
Longtime lurker, first time poster. Slight hijack, please.

Whole house remodel, ran copper for an icemaker, figuring it would come off a RO filter under sink. Heard a few theories about compatibility of RO water and copper, wondering what the collective wisdom of this board is. Copper is buried in wall.

TIA, Todd

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
Longtime lurker, first time poster. Slight hijack, please.

Whole house remodel, ran copper for an icemaker, figuring it would come off a RO filter under sink. Heard a few theories about compatibility of RO water and copper, wondering what the collective wisdom of this board is. Copper is buried in wall.

TIA, Todd

You shouldn't use copper after the water has been treated by a RO unit.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
THere's a reason water is called the universal solvent. RO treated water is quite aggressive and is much more able to attack (dissolve) things verses more common water that contains minerals. Probably not a good idea to use it with a copper line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks