Copper Pipe Branching Size

Users who are viewing this thread

Climber

Reaction score
I am about to repipe my entire 3 story home with new copper pipe. I plan on coming off the meter with 1 in. pipe (presently 1 in. iron to meter and 3/4 supply at appx. 50 psi). The 2nd and 3rd floor bathrooms will be using the same branch which is seperate from all other branches. Also I plan on using a seperate 3/4 in. branch coming off the hard water line for all the toilets in the home thinking this would create less of a "shock" if a toilet is flushed and water is being used elsewhere (besides isn't it a waste to use filtered and soft water for a toilet?). Should I continue to run 1 in. pipes from the basement to the 2nd and 3rd floor, or should I run 1 in. pipes to the 2nd floor and then 3/4 in. to the 3rd floor. Or is it sufficient to use 3/4 in. pipes from the point of exit from the basement all the way up? The 2nd and 3rd floor branch conveniently runs within 1 ft. of the 2nd floor bathroom and terminates into the 3rd floor bathroom. I will run 3/4 in. pipes to within 2 ft. of each fixture. Distance from meter to 3rd floor termination is 65 ft.
Thanks for any suggestions!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipes

In most cases 3/4" is adequate, but we would have to see your particular application to determine if there is something that would require a larger pipe. If you use "raw" water for the toilets you may have mineral buildup and staining problems with them, depending on the water's quality and composition. You do not want to use the treated water for your outside faucets however. And using a 3/4" pipe for the toilets has no benefits.

Climber

Reaction score
Thank you both very much for the input!
I'll use 3/4 going up to the bathrooms. As my dad sometimes tells me, I overengineer things. Also I don't think I'll have problems with using "raw" water for the toilets; the 20 year old toilets that were here when I moved in showed no signs of staining or crustiness before I added the softener. Our iron content is nil and hardness is at 121 ppm.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Remember the more 3/4" copper you use the more heat it will draw from the water.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks