slow set pvc cement or glue for slip fitting vs. fernco or no hubs

Users who are viewing this thread

Archibald Tuttle

Reaction score
found an old thread* where terry said standard glue gives you plenty of time for a slip fitting. Guess these experts are quick. I've only been doing this 40 years and I haven't found this to be so when I get up in the 3 or 4" range. I've been puzzling how to do a tight stack job without using a slip fitting and think I've worked it out. OF course I could use a fernco but this is just some nice virgin PVC job that we finished a month ago and they want to add a bathroom. everytime this comes up and I consider a slip fitting as one possible alternative I get to thinking about whether there is a truly slow set glue that would really give me 20 or 30 seconds of motion on a slip coupling where it would still be helping to lube passage rather than retard it.

I noticed that cements are also rated by body as well as speed and that the only slow sets I can find are heavy bodied. I don't know if this property is at all a hinderance to slip fitting, say compared to medium set, medium body. It does seem that the properties seem to change in unison so with fast set you get light body. Is the body a factor related to the choice of solvent/weld speed or could there be such a thing as slow set, light body?

It seems to me from descriptions on a this old thread here that the slow set might be the less translucent gray colored product that I associate with PVC pressure systems. My familiarity with these is limited. I've only done the most minimal bit of PVC pressure piping and that was a while ago so I'm not sure if slow set heavy body is synonymous with glue for PVC pressure fittings ore not - which would mean it was not specifically aimed at longer working times for DWV slip fits or adjustments of angle when gluing in those last couple fittings in a chain, etc.

It may be that a focus on increased convenience an effectiveness for these functions is just not necessary in the age of ubiquitous ferncos or nohubs, and I am always ready to bring them in when neecessary and have never had a problem as long as I secure pipes well and count on them for sealing and not for support. Still, my retentive self likes to avoid them. (BTW actually that does bring up a question, I try to use no hubs in critical areas above ground for the added support but they have a ridge that limits the slip function. On the other hand the rubber itself is lighter and perhaps if I loosen the clamps enough I could make a no hub slip, and then feel the rubber ridge drop in place when sliding it back to centered on the joint. I often use dish soap to lube the outside of the pipe to help the ferncos slip, and imagine that might help as well, but I'm wondering if anyone has 'slip fit' no hubs before.)

Any thoughts/tips appreciated - and I'll be posting another thread about unusual fitting I'm looking for for this job, a male/female extension.

Thanks,

brian

* I cannot get the advanced search function on this or other blogs using the same format to work very well. When I searched "slow set" and restricted responses to titles, I still was getting every thread with "slow drain" in the title. I tried it with and without quotes and got no difference. I had to back out and use google advanced search and restrict the domain to terrylove.com. That is how I found the links in this post. Seems unfortunate that the onboard advance search, which does allow important functions like restricting to title and looking for posts by certain members, doesn't seem to be very effective at its root duty which is precise searches. I know it has nothing to do with Terry's blog in particular, it is a problem on virtually every blog I visit. I try to use the search function to make sure I'm not covering ground that has been regularly covered on the blog already because I don't want to ask people just to type over the answers they have already given, and I want to show an appreciation for and consideration of the body of material and knowledge built up over the blog's history, but these lousy search functions are frustrating. [rant over]

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
quote: " unusual fitting I'm looking for for this job, a male/female extension."

I doubt you will find that per se, but a coupling and a piece of pipe give you the fitting. Also, they make "slip couplings" which involve a sliding piece sealed internally with o-rings. They are very handy, and are M/F

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just a couple of things. First, "Fernco" is a brand name, but in everyday language usually is referring to a neoprene sleeve clamped on both ends with a hose clamp. This type of coupler is not supposed to be used above ground as it can not be depended on to hold the pipes straight. The above ground clamps that are OK use are the banded or no hub connectors which may also be made by Fernco. The slip couplings Jimbo refers to are great for under ground irrigation line repair, but I do not know if they are approved for above ground use. I don't know why they would not be, and Jimbo as a pro uses them, so it's likely they are OK, but I'd check before using them.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When installing a no-hub type coupling into a fixed stack, I roll the rubber back, and then unroll it once it's in place.
I cut the pipe and fitting to be inserted 1/4" short to allow for the ridge that separates the two pipes.
You could also use soap to lube.

When I'm doing tall buildings, the inspectors like to see a test on it. Cast iron, you can only test so high, so we would put in test tees, test that section, and then pull it out and replace with it a straight section of pipe. A bathroom wall would have three of those, that would need to be done. We would test two floors at the most.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Technically, since a "slip fit" section has an enlarged area where the sliding takes place it violates the "smooth interior" sections of the codes, but would be a minor point when installed vertically.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks