ikea bathroom vanity

Users who are viewing this thread

kenlee

Reaction score
I am installing ikea bathroom vanity with 4†clearance between drawer back and wall.
See photos.
I guess I must shorten water supply and drain stub-outs, correct?
Ikea p-trap is 1.25†while installed drain adapter and old p-trap is 1.5â€.
The installed elbow attached to the drain adapter does not fit behind the drawer.
How can I make this fit?
Should I install new drain adapter of size 1.25†or 1.5�

Attachments

• Drain 3.jpg
    Drain 3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,931
  • copper stub out.jpg
    copper stub out.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,225
  • Drain 1.jpg
    Drain 1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 5,634
  • Drain 2.jpg
    Drain 2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,410
  • Drawer.jpg
    Drawer.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,867

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There are only so many things you can do with a trap. You can shorten the length of the drawer, but the sink's tailpiece should drop straight down into the trap. This will leave you with almost no drawer.

This is why vanities should not have drawers under the sink. Ikea has a lot of ideas that don't work well in practice.

Last edited:

kenlee

Reaction score
Can drawers be shortened?

There are only so many things you can do with a trap. You can shorten the length of the drawer, but the sink's tailpiece should drop straight down into the trap. This will leave you with almost no drawer.

This is why vanities should not have drawers under the sink. Ikea has a lot of ideas that don't work well in practice.

Are you saying, it looks like I cannot shorten drain stub-out enough to make it work?
(After I attach new drain adapter and elbow.)

Can drawers be shortened?
Last two photos in gallery show drawer:
You can see drawer in more detail here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/assembly_...ink-cabinet-with-drawers__AA-478455-4_pub.pdf

You know sink tailpiece is sharply angled toward back of vanity, right?
Like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90187357/#/90197144

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That sink tailpiece makes a big difference. If you cut the horizontal drain pipe off, you could install a male 1-1/4" trap adapter in the pipe with the threads flush to wall. Looking at the picture, you might gain a couple of inches.

Someone could surely retrofit the drawer to make it shorter, or even just to notch it so it passes around the pipe.

That type of tailpiece is a bit similar to those put on an ADA lavatory for wheelchair access. I would be a bit concerned about the potential buildup of stinky drain goo in the horizontal section of the drain.

ikea-drain.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks