Change Wall Hung Toilets to Floor Ones

Users who are viewing this thread

ThirdBirch

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a house with two wall hung toilets. These are back to back and use the same drain pipe. The both are very old, ugly, and leak. I'd like to replace them with floor mounted toilets. I've looked into replacements for my wall hung toilets and they seem to run around $500 each. I've never worked with wall hung toilets before. I am used to replacing floor ones. There is plenty of room in the crawl space to replace the pipes. So I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to get a plumber to install piping for the floor toilets? I'm thinking the cost might be the same. Any advise would be appreciated.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Estimating plumber cost is next to impossible because of several factors. First, local labor cost vary widely from place to place. Second, the conditions of the job site. It may be as you describe, but there could be other factors that would only be apparent to the professional on site. There are those who thing wall hung toilets are wonderful, and those who wouldn't want them. Good arguments both ways. My personal feelings are for the standard floor mounted toilets because of the many styles available. I am a strong advocate for the Toto brand, but that's a whole story by itself. You may be right about the cost being a wash, but the best way to tell is to have a local plumbing contractor, or better yet two or three, give you a cost estimate based on their inspections. You may be in an area that gives rebates for installing new low-flow toilets, and that is sure worth checking out. Just realize that all low flow toilets are not created equal. Old name brands have lost ground and often are a very poor choice. Local plumbers often will quote you on the brand they sell. Hold out for Toto. They can get them. And, welcome to the forum.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You are way better off replacing with new wall hung bowls.
The American Standard Glenwall is typically around $500 and the Gerber Maxwell Wall Hung is ballpark $380

Changing the plumbing and patching the walls would be $2000 or more.
And then you would still need to buy standard floor mount toilets.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks