Washer Supply Pipe Size Question

Users who are viewing this thread

jdubt

Reaction score
Hi all, I am moving my washer and want to run PEX for supply. The washer will be about 15 feet from a main supply line, which is 3/4 inch CPVC. I was going to use 1/2 inch PEX for the washer....is this reasonable?

Also I have never attempted to tie into a hot water line, I will turn off valve leading to hot water tank, but there is no valve on the line coming out of the tank. Is this a problem?

Appreciate any help

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The thing to consider about pipe size, no matter what the medium, is the amount of flow. The smaller the pipe, the longer it will take for the machine to fill. Keep in mind that the gold standard for pipe size is copper. CPVC and PEX both have a smaller inside diameter than copper of the same size, 3/4" of these materials are about the same a 1/2" copper, so I think you might want to run 3/4" PEX rather than the 1/2". When you turn off the cold water supply to the water heater, no more hot water will enter the supply system. There will be some water left in the pipes but will drain if you open the pipe at the low end and the top end of the system. Using CPVC you would want the pipe ends dry where you make you joints, I don't think that's as critical with PEX.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1/2" is fine for a washer. That is fine for PEX, CPVC, Copper and galvanized.

Normally you have a main cold water shutoff for a home, and the cold feed shutoff for the water heater in a home.
Other fixtures may have individual shutoffs with perhaps the showers and the tubs not having that provision.

pipe_size_1.jpg

pipe_size_2.jpg

Last edited:

DaveHo

Reaction score
I have 1/2" PEX run for my washing machine supplies & have no complaints.

As Terry said, turning off the valve at the water heater will turn off the water to the hot supply except for any water remaining in the line above the point you intend to tie in. One word of caution though. If you are not home alone when doing the work, I suggest you shut off the main to the house. While doing some similar work recently, my wife turned on a faucet and did not turn it all the way to cold. As a result I received a nice shower when the cold water crossed over to the hot water side at the faucet!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
While doing some similar work recently, my wife turned on a faucet and did not turn it all the way to cold. As a result I received a nice shower when the cold water crossed over to the hot water side at the faucet!

Jamie and I were replacing a water heater yesterday, and one of the people in the home insisted on taking a shower while we had the water heater disconnected. It was like working under a waterfall.
Wood floors too. Not much we could do about it.

MikeKenmore

Reaction score
i know this thread is old, but since it was talking copper & PEX...

i'm remodeling my basement and relocating the W/D. my lines in the house are 1/2" copper (3/4" where coming into the house). i don't mind working with copper, but wonder if it's better to use PEX for the washer. any thoughts? does PEX help if you have hammering? i know occasionally some air builds in our lines and we will get hammering from time to time.

my copper feed line will be coming from the floor joists above. so, run PEX or run copper down to the washer???

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1/2" PEX is fine for the washer. I install my washers using hammer arrestors.
Only 3/4 coming into the home? Is this a one bath home?

washer_rough_1.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks