Grundfos CU 301 problem

Users who are viewing this thread

ryanpilotdave

Reaction score
New to this and I know this has been covred but I can't find what I am loking for. My mother has a 12 yr old house in south central Idaho. The well contractor installed a CU301 and aSQE pump. For several years now she has had a problem with hot water (tested last week at 105* for over 5 minutes at the well head from the hydrant) and huge power bills. The well company came out for a service call and replaced one burned up pump. Not long later hot water again a big power bills. My thought is a continous running pump. Tech comes out and "tested" the system by opening the hydrant and in 5 minutes the water as cold, nothing wrong system works fine thank for the $65. I have been a millwright for a long time and I clled BS on that. He never put a amp meter on the circut or got under the house to check th control. He said it was fine. The pump went out in 7 months so they come out with a new one. Good thing we are coverd by a warranty. Here we go in a matter of 2 months again with hot water and big power bill.

The well contractor tells my mom it is a Hot Water Tank issue and not their system. I finally had enough and made the drive over. Very first thing is an amp test and we have 6.5 amps continous with no call for water. I go open the hydrant and get 105* for over 5 minutes before cooling down (coulda had a hot tub) I then get under the house and inspect the system. No inicator lights on control, no response when trying to turn off with the on/off button. Trouble shooting says control is bad!

The well contractor tells me it is the hot water tank again. He never has had hot water from a well from a running pump!!!!!!!! WHAT??????? well, there is no way a hot water tank can back charge a well with that temp or gallonage.

Can this CU 301 fail in the on position??? All I have read usually states that failure results in no water? What exactly do I need to do to change the system to something better without having to replace the pump right now?

Thanks for any help.... Dave

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The EASY way to fix this is to put a regular pressure switch on in place of the transducer and controller

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's easy. Remove the controller & transducer and put in a regular pressure switch. The pump will then operate like a regular submersible pump.

Damn, now I can't remove this 2nd post!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks