(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Slant / Fin Electric Boiler Chattering

Question Slant / Fin Electric Boiler Chattering

I am a Handyman. I own a 7 yr old Slant/Fin Electric HW boiler EH 20-135-LB without Air and Fan. I had a heat pump technician check the intermittent chattering issue and he noted my 2 connectors were black and had me replace them. Well the intermittent chattering resumed as usual. I surmised that one of the 3 Honeywell programmable stats was turning the boiler on/off/on/off/on/off when calling for heat. I pulled one stat and the chattering stopped. Later a second one appeared to do the same thing but not as often.

I submitted a ticket to Honeywell and they claim the stats are well mated to my boiler. However, they want me to listen to the stats to see if the relays chatter during this period and submit a picture of the wiring on the back and the settings of the dip switches. Well the chattering has subsided for now.

It appears something is not right with either the boiler or zone valves or ________.
    Is it possible the stats are competing with each other or would an air lock cause a sensor perform an override?

Thread should read Slant/Fin HW Boiler. Sorry for the typo.

Master Hot Water Mpls,MN BadgerBoilerMN's Avatar

Your question lacks the technical specificity necessary to diagnose your problem. I suggest an qualified electrician or a local heating contractor recommended by a local SlantFin supplier.

This could be a fire hazard, particularly if the "chattering" is on the high voltage side.

Have you ever had the water side of your boiler system flushed, cleaned and treated?

No, I have only purged it a couple of times since it was installed. The chattering is on the high voltage side for sure. I think you make a valid point. Something is not quite right for sure. The original installer has retired now so I will check with the boys @ Harris & Roome.