(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toto Soiree Lazy Flush

DIY Junior Member hollywoodgirl's Avatar

Question Toto Soiree Lazy Flush

There have been sporadic lazy flushes in the past which resolved themselves. Not tonight.

We have hard water but the Soiree doesn't have holes in the rim, there are two powerful nozzles.

I tried a dishpan full of hot water and that went down slowly. So.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodgirl View Post
    There have been sporadic lazy flushes in the past which resolved themselves. Not tonight.

I tried a dishpan full of hot water and that went down slowly. So.

What do you think?
    I'm assuming I understand what a lazy flush is...it swirls around and instead of siphoning right down, it kind of wallows its way to the bottom of the bowl (but it does go). Is that it?

Assuming that your fixtures downstream of this toilet are draining properly and thus there isn't some kind of systemic backup, I would try flushing it a few times by holding the handle down to drain the whole tank and see how it performs. Sometimes, the lazy flush occurs because it isn't starting with enough water. If that doesn't work, I would hit it with a plunger. Good rapid vigorous strokes. Could be there's a partial clog somewhere in there. If the plunger doesn't work, then a closet auger. If the problem doesn't resolve itself with one of these methods, report that back and see what The Gang thinks.

What I'm recommending isn't necessarily the optimal solution, it's just basic Chicken Soup...can't hurt.

One other thought is: does the toilet seem to be dropping as much water as usual through the flush valve? I get a lazy flush occasionally off what I call a "misfire". This occurs when for whatever reason the flapper doesn't cycle all the way open and shuts faster than usual. Usually occurs if I don't push the handle all the way down before releasing. The bowl gets a little water in it, the tank starts refilling, but there isn't enough water through the valve to do a regular flush, just a slow siphon to the bottom.
    Last edited by wjcandee; 01-07-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Originally Posted by wjcandee
    I'm assuming I understand what a lazy flush is...it swirls around and instead of siphoning right down, it kind of wallows its way to the bottom of the bowl (but it does go). Is that it? Yes

Assuming that your fixtures downstream of this toilet are draining properly and thus there isn't some kind of systemic backup, I would try flushing it a few times by holding the handle down to drain the whole tank and see how it performs. Sometimes, the lazy flush occurs because it isn't starting with enough water. If that doesn't work, I would hit it with a plunger. Good rapid vigorous strokes. Could be there's a partial clog somewhere in there. If the plunger doesn't work, then a closet auger. If the problem doesn't resolve itself with one of these methods, report that back and see what The Gang thinks. The tank drains completely but the water enters the bowl and s l o w l y drains and then it bubbles

What I'm recommending isn't necessarily the optimal solution, it's just basic Chicken Soup...can't hurt.

One other thought is: does the toilet seem to be dropping as much water as usual through the flush valve? I get a lazy flush occasionally off what I call a "misfire". This occurs when for whatever reason the flapper doesn't cycle all the way open and shuts faster than usual. Usually occurs if I don't push the handle all the way down before releasing. The bowl gets a little water in it, the tank starts refilling, but there isn't enough water through the valve to do a regular flush, just a slow siphon to the bottom. It's not doing this. Thank you for your time.

Originally Posted by wjcandee
    I'm assuming I understand what a lazy flush is...it swirls around and instead of siphoning right down, it kind of wallows its way to the bottom of the bowl (but it does go). Is that it? Yes

Assuming that your fixtures downstream of this toilet are draining properly and thus there isn't some kind of systemic backup, I would try flushing it a few times by holding the handle down to drain the whole tank and see how it performs. Sometimes, the lazy flush occurs because it isn't starting with enough water. If that doesn't work, I would hit it with a plunger. Good rapid vigorous strokes. Could be there's a partial clog somewhere in there. If the plunger doesn't work, then a closet auger. If the problem doesn't resolve itself with one of these methods, report that back and see what The Gang thinks. The tank drains completely but the water enters the bowl and s l o w l y drains and then it bubbles

One other thought is: does the toilet seem to be dropping as much water as usual through the flush valve? I get a lazy flush occasionally off what I call a "misfire". This occurs when for whatever reason the flapper doesn't cycle all the way open and shuts faster than usual. Usually occurs if I don't push the handle all the way down before releasing. The bowl gets a little water in it, the tank starts refilling, but there isn't enough water through the valve to do a regular flush, just a slow siphon to the bottom. It's not doing this. Thank you for your time.
    PS No plunger or auger in the house, I'll call Rapid Rooter in the morning.

We generally recommend against anything with the name "rooter" in it. You're better off with a plain ol' experienced, trusted plumber. Unfortunately, Terry isn't in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
    We generally recommend against anything with the name "rooter" in it. You're better off with a plain ol' experienced, trusted plumber. Unfortunately, Terry isn't in your area.
    I'll call the plumber who installed the toilet. Thank you.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would take a bucket or large cooking pot of water and pour it directly into the bowl. Sometimes that's all it takes.
    Not hot water. You don't want to melt the wax.

You bowl is an easy fix. You can lift the bowl up, and the trapway is divided into two parts. Upper and lower.

Last edited by Terry; 01-08-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I would take a bucket or large cooking pot of water and pour it directly into the bowl. Sometimes that's all it takes.
    I just tried half a dozen times with a dish basin full of hottest water. It's not making a difference. Still slowly drains away
    and then burbles . Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    So true, but her first post said that she tried that already, to no avail...

There is probably a foreign object wedged in the trap. Small children often try flushing toys, other items like toothbrushes, combs, makeup cases, and the list goes on are often found. The won't wash out. A closet auger may work, but sometimes one has to pull the toilet and go from the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart View Post
    There is probably a foreign object wedged in the trap. Small children often try flushing toys, other items like toothbrushes, combs, makeup cases, and the list goes on are often found. The won't wash out. A closet auger may work, but sometimes one has to pull the toilet and go from the bottom.
    I'll post the resolution. Hope it's quick and easy. Thank you.

I'll post the resolution. Hope it's quick and easy. Thank you.
    Fun working with you. I look forward to learning what your plumber determines to be the problem.

UPDATE: the plumber can't come until tomorrow, Wed Jan 9 between 10am and 1pm.

FINAL UPDATE: the plumber who installed the Toto Soiree came a day early, he owns the company. He and his assistant spent an hour augering the toilet and siphon jets. Success. He said there could be trouble further into the line, the house went up in '68 and then I'll need to call a drain cleaning service. He recommended someone. Sound about right, gentlemen?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If you have a partial blockage on the main line, the toilet won't flush when there's no place for the waste to go. Overnight, it might drain down, and the first couple of flushes might work right. But, take a shower, or two, and if there's a blockage, it could back up enough to then prevent the toilet from flushing.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014