(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help venting small bathroom in basemment

Smile

i'm reworking
    Last edited by rcdba; 01-12-2013 at 12:45 AM.

Ok.Because I'm trying to vent everything through the lavatory in a really small bathroom, I reworked my plumbing layout. Hopefully, everything is good. I added an image. Question:. If the 2 inch wye (which connects to the shower drain) is on its side, is it still vented. Or should I turn it up ?

Name:  new2.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  40.0 KB

Thanks for your help,
    Richard
    Last edited by rcdba; 01-12-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

It looks like you have it figured out.

Use care to maintain 1/4" per foot grade between the drain and vent connection. When wet venting, if your pitch is too great or the drain is too long before the vent, it will siphon the trap.

I prefer to roll all my wyes up to about 45 degrees, but as long as the entire length of drain is pitched properly, it can be flat on it's side if need be.

You really only need to run 3" to the water closet. Depending on the depth of your main line, it could also make it easier to maintain pitch.

Also make sure the horizontal section of dry vent is pitched to the drain.

Thank you... I'm pretty happy with this layout. I was planning on turning the 2" wye on an angle instead of flat but wasn't sure if it was right. Nice to see both ways will work. One thing I may change out is the 1/4 bend that leads to the wye. If I have the space, I'll use a short sweep.

I appreciate everyone's help.
    Richard

In that position you should only use long sweeps or any combination of 1/8 or 1/16 bends. The shorter sweeps are used for transitioning from horizontal drain to vertical drain. The long sweeps are less likely to clog and easier to snake if the need ever arises.

Quote Originally Posted by rcdba View Post
    Ok.Because I'm trying to vent everything through the lavatory in a really small bathroom, I reworked my plumbing layout. Hopefully, everything is good. I added an image. Question:. If the 2 inch wye (which connects to the shower drain) is on its side, is it still vented. Or should I turn it up ?

Views: 186
Size:  40.0 KB

Thanks for your help,
    Richard
    If that 2" wye is below the floor and is just a vent then no, that doesn't work either
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    If that 2" wye is below the floor and is just a vent then no, that doesn't work either
    That isn't a vent. It's a wet vent. It comes from the lavatory which then rises to the vent.

Richard

Views: 111
Size:  41.0 KB

On the subject of venting. What is the maximum distance you can go horizontal before going up to the roof ? basically, how far to plumb from the vent ?

Once you are in the dry part of the vent (horizontal >42" above floor), there are no limitations on distance that I am aware of. The vent should have a slight slope back towards the drain. This will allow condensation or rain water run to the drain. Other than that, you just need to support the pipe and run it however works best for you to get it to the attic. Once in the attic, you can often tie into an existing vent to eliminate another penetration in the roof.

You may want to double check, but I seem to recall a vent size of 1/2 the diameter of the largest drain that you are venting under IPC (I believe your code is based on that). If so, making the toilet 3", would allow a 1.5" vent. If you stay 4", then it would need to be 2". It would be best to check and be sure, though.

Views: 111
Size:  41.0 KB[/QUOTE]

Do I need a floor clean out any where on this layout ? I really don't want a clean out in front of my toilet. I figure I can snake from either shower or lavatory.

Richard

There is no requirement for a floor clean-out in your layout.

I would put a 2" clean-out in the wall below the lav's sanitary tee.