(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time for a new water softener system.

@ditttohead

Are you talking about 1" Brass Sweat connection? Or 1" Male Threaded plastic connection?

Is this a good source? http://www.discountwatersofteners.co...-softener.html

What I like is their tank is •15x17x34 Brine Tank instead of 18" wide...

Or

From here: http://www.affordablewater.us/Fleck-...er-P46C66.aspx

If I order the 64k, do I just follow your cheat sheet on setup?
    Last edited by silversaver; 01-11-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

PM sent, thanks!

what's difference between fiberglass vs mineral tank? I see different vendors supply these 2 tanks as 12 x 48 and 12 x 52 for 64k grin system.

In additon: My current setup were using 3/4" piping. I could have using the flex connectors for easy installation, but I'm worry the 3/4" piping will limited the water flow rate.

The main piping to house were 1.25". Should I re-piping to 1" piping instead? I'm about the purchase the softener, but needs the info before I order the system.

Maybe I should have giving more infor:

My current water softener is a GE Smartwater Profile 40k system with 1" male threads. Somehow the installer has using the 3/4" copper pipes to connect between softener and house's main 1.25" pipes. I can feel the water pressure drops when 2 showers run at same time. This has bothering me the last 10 years.... Finally the water softener broke down!!!

Now, it is the chance to correct all the problem. It is good that I have decided on the Fleck 7000 64k system. I don't mind to hire a professional to install the system, but I need the info on correct size bypass connection to get with the new softener.

As I mention ealier, I can use a flex connector for simple installation over the exiting 3/4" piping, but I don't want to face the same problem I had for last 10years. Will a 1" piping helps? Or stay with 3/4" piping since the Fleck 7000 has better internal high flow valves compares with GE?

many thanks in advance
    Last edited by silversaver; 01-13-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silversaver View Post
    The main piping to house were 1.25". Should I re-piping to 1" piping instead? I'm about the purchase the softener, but needs the info before I order the system.

Maybe I should have giving more infor:

My current water softener is a GE Smartwater Profile 40k system with 1" male threads. Somehow the installer has using the 3/4" copper pipes to connect between softener and house's main 1.25" pipes. I can feel the water pressure drops when 2 showers run at same time. This has bothering me the last 10 years.... Finally the water softener broke down!!!
    Having suffered through low water pressure problems like yourself, I am a fan of not undersizing or downsizing pipes inappropriately or unnecessarily. A Fleck 7000 valve is available with an option for a 32 mm distributor tube, about 1-1/4", and has 1-1/4" internal valve ports. You have to specifically ask for the larger tube or they'll give you the standard 1.05" tube down the middle of the tank.

If your house is plumbed 1-1/4" and there is not some insurmountable obstacle to connecting the softener with 1-1/4" pipes I would stick with that size. The Fleck 7000 is available with 1-1/4" threaded adapters, why not use them? Depending on your situation, it could be a pretty minor job to hook up the softener to your plumbing without reducers.
    Lifespeed

thanks lifespeed. I'll order 1-1/4" MNPT with optional brass sweat to connect to my home 1-1/4" copper pipes.

I'll have the installer cut the exiting 3/4" pipes and use 1-1/4" through out the system.

double post

Quote Originally Posted by silversaver View Post
    thanks lifespeed. I'll order 1-1/4" MNPT with optional brass sweat to connect to my home 1-1/4" copper pipes.

I'll have the installer cut the exiting 3/4" pipes and use 1-1/4" through out the system.
    Don't forget the optional 32mm distributor tube for the Fleck 7000. I'm sure you'll appreciate the results during those occasional heavy water use events. Let us know how it turns out.
    Lifespeed

This is what I'm ordering:

Tank Color Option:Almond
    Insulating Jacket:NO Insulating Jacket
    Brine Tank Size:18x33 Round Brine Tank 0
    Res-Care Feeder:NO Res-Care Feeder
    Resin Media Option:Hi-Capacity Resin - 8% Crosslink
    Distributor Tube:With 32MM HI-FLOW Distributor
    Turbulator Option:NO Turbulator 12x52 Tank
    Plumbing Connection:BYPASS, Noryl 1-1/4" Male NPT
    Drain Tubing:WITH Drain Tubing - 10 Ft.

maybe I'll get the brass sweat connection for my copper pipes. I believe I need the Connector Assembly, 1-1/4" x 1-1/2" Brass Sweat w/O-Ring (2-Pack) - 41243-01