Slow Draining Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

gotnukes8

Reaction score
Ok, I have a second story toilet that has been draining really slow for the past 2 months. The water moves from the tank to the bowl at normal flush speed and fills the bowl almost to the top and then about 15 seconds later the water will slowly go down the drain. Tonight, I flushed the toilet just to check it, and it overflowed from the bowl, that was a first and what prompted me to post here.

Here is what I can tell you:
Toilet is on second floor
The other toilet on the second floor is fine
All showers and tubs on second floor are fine
The toilet is 3 years old with no prior issues

Here is what I have done so far based on ideas from the internet.
Check/cleaned all the rim holes
Snaked a coat hanger down the trap to check for clog
Dumped 2 gallons of water into the bowl and it washed into the drain like a normal toilet and apparently that means it is not a clog

I am at the end of my rope and I need help.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Matt

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have something in the trapway of the bowl.
A coat hanger isn't going to help. They go right by whatever is there.
Draino doesn't help either. I[m pretty sure you haven't been putting chicken grease in the bowl. Pull the bowl, and look in the outlet of the bowl.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are many possibilities, but which one applies to you is something that only an expert who is at the house can determine. Whatever the problem is, it appears to be in the bowl itself, or the way the water is leaving the tank.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's fairly likely something was dropped into the toilet that wedge in the trap way. Sometimes a closet auger will snag it, but a coat hanger will slide right past as Terry noted. Any number of possibilities as to what the object is, homes with toddlers often find toys, but the list goes on. Pulling the toilet up and attacking the problem from the underside often works.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks