washing machine leak

Users who are viewing this thread

ramsey76

Reaction score
We had a water hammer issue steming from our washing machine (LG) . When the washer started to load water , the pipes would shake upstairs

My plumber suggested that I install two mini arrestors on the washer inlet hoses.

I disconnected the inlet hoses from the washer and ran the hoses into arrestors that connected the arrestors to the washer

The connection seemed fine after the first wash I noticed no leaks from the connections

However after a few wash loads I did notice some water on the tile floor. Since it was a small amount and nightime I figured i would address the issue in the morning

In the morning there was a sizeable amount of water on the floor despite the washer not being on ( the water connect on the wall was open)

The water contined to flow thru the hoses and onto to the floor

I noticed there a small drip of water coming from the top back of the washer, just below the hose connection. This happened if the washer was on or off

I disconnected thje arrestors, dried the floor and did more laundry. There was no water on the floor since i disconnected the arrestors.

What did I do wrong, and what caused the water on the floor

Some evidence point that this was an arrestor issue, but I am not sure why

thanks

JB

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Regarding your water hammer. Do you know what you water pressure is? PSI should be from 40 to 80, and in my opinion at least, 80 if still too high. Since pressure can vary, you really need to check it frequently at different times of the day, or better yet, get a gauge with a tattle tale needle. If it is too high appliances like the washer, dishwasher, humidifiers, ice makers, and toilets can develop problems. A pressure regulator would be in order in those cases, along with a thermal expansion tank. Many not be your problem, but worth checking.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is nothing inside the washer that would leak because of an arrestor being installed. If the problem resolved itself, it would have had to be the hose connection leaking.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hose washers on some of those things are quite hard, and it can take a fair amount of pressure to make a seal. You might need a pair of pliers to tighten them that extra 1/8-turn or so to make a good seal. The fittings on the WM are now sometimes plastic, so you need to be careful not to tighten things too much or risk a big repair bill if you strip or break something. I don't feel comfortable without shutting the supply valves to the WM off when not using it. That would just mask a leak, though. It can make a real difference if a hose should break while away, as that can cost huge amounts of money in water damage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks