Hot water expansion tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Jm66208

Reaction score
I need to install a hot water expansionn tank Sunday, and the only place can get on e is the Home depot or Lowes. Is there a difference in quality as compared to one I could get Monday morning from the plumbing supply shop?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can't say. But, make sure you get one proper for your application - they come in hydronic heating versions (non-potable), and potable versions. THen, you have to determine what size you need which depends on the volume, temperature swings, and pressure of your supply.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I got mine (Watts) at HD several years ago. My hometown Lowes did not even know what they were and still do not stock them. They do sell PRVs, which I find interesting. Watts is a good brand.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Not really, but a potable water one will be galvanized and probably glass lined. A hydronic one will be black steel, which will rust out quickly in a fresh water system. Size, and initial pressure, are not as important as some make it out to be.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Size becomes more important in the wintertime when you exhaust the WH's volume. All that cold water will need more room to expand than a more normal usage, where only a small amount of cold water then needs to expand as it is heated. The tank's bladder gets stressed more if it gets stretched further than designed (to accommodate that extra volume of expanding water), thus, the pressure and volume should match your needs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks