Price Pfister Old Shower Tub Set

Users who are viewing this thread

Stevierenee

Reaction score
Hello,
this is a long shot but thought I would put it out there. We are not original owners of this house(FYI).
We would like to replace this set and add a shower head and matching sink faucet as well.

This is a 5 hole set I believe?

Can anyone suggest away to find the right sets?

phister-05.jpg

phister-06.jpg

phister-07.jpg

Any advice is appreciated.

thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think you'll find an exact replacement for the tub/shower (exact in form, not looks). This has to do with the federal guidelines requiring anti-scald technology in a shower. What's there now is almost certainly not in compliance with those guidelines. You are required to bring it up to code if you replace, but not to repair what's there already. Since you essentially want to replace it, that's what triggers the update to current codes. There are a number of choices for the vanity in that configuration for that sink. You may want to look at those first, then see about the shower. Unless they left some spare tiles, you may be looking at tearing up more than you want in there. Do you have access from behind that wall (maybe in a closet)?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's a Price Phister, it's considered a three handle faucet.

The spout and the shower arm spin on using standard 1/2" threading.

pp_3v.gif

Stevierenee

Reaction score
I thank you. And yes, you are probably spot on. Like I mentioned, a long shot. lol We do have access. There is the master closet.
And to make matters worse, the tiles are small, 3 1/4"...so trying to add a shower and not make it looked rigged is a big challenge.

Thanks...

PS: I was thinking we could get rid of the hand held and just patch the hole but then it would look really funky.

Stevierenee

Reaction score
Terry,
thank you. So a 3 hole. The drawing shows the handles...do you see the spout or the diverter (hand held shower & tub) drawing?

Sorry, I am not able to articulate very well.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can use a faucet hole cover for the hand held location.

Any shower arm will work, at the high location.
And a tub spout without diverter too.

You can either rebuild what you have, or pick up a single handle with remodel plate.

Stevierenee

Reaction score
Great idea!

I was thinking we could cut in a soap holder...not sure,not sure.

Appreciate the prompt help and replies.

Great site:)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it is a Price Pfister, which I doubt, (I would need a picture of the stem itself to verify it), then there are several modern trims which will fit it.

Stevierenee

Reaction score
hmmmm..I am assuming it is PP because the drain has 2 P's. Is there a way to check?

phister-08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The drain has nothing to do with the faucet and its "PP" stands for "Precision Plumbing/Products". That design is almost "generic" from several aftermarket companies.

Stevierenee

Reaction score
The drain has nothing to do with the faucet and its "PP" stands for "Precision Plumbing/Products". That design is almost "generic" from several aftermarket companies.

:eek:

Oops on my part. And here I thought I was so smart. lol

Stevierenee

Reaction score
Now I am wondering if I even have the color right. Is this considered brass? Bronze? Something else?

Is it okay to suggest some online resources you are all comfortable purchasing with?

Thanks for educating me. It is appreciated!

Stevie Renee

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is "antique bronze", which is obsolete these days for most manufacturers. Until you know the make and model, there is no way to suggest a source of replacement parts, assuming they are even available.

DavidSeon

Reaction score
The plumbers here can often identify the manufacturer of old fixtures, but they usually need to see the "insides". A photo of the hot or cold side with the handle and decorative flange removed might be enough to give them a clue. Removal and photo of the stem assembly itself would be even better but requires the water to be shut off, and might not be a good idea if you're not somewhat "handy".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks