New Well drilled. What do I need now?

Users who are viewing this thread

bobandia

Reaction score
Just finished a 300 ft deep well. Water is at 172 ft and according to the driller I have 40 gallons per minute. I thought of putting the pump at about 200 ft. There is an additional rise of 110 ft to the house and the house is 700 ft from the well. I have 2 inch pipe in the ditch already and was thinking about a 1 1/4 inch flex from the well. I am thinking I need a 2hp for the 310 lift. I really need a list of what I need to buy to complete the system, and where is the best place to purchase what I need. I also have installed a Geothermal system and a 400 amp service.
In addition, I am thinking of using this well to feed another house down hill another 100 or so in elevation and about 1000 ft from the well. Would it be best to locate something near the well so when the other house needs water it can call for it?
How about the electrical part as well. Submersible in the well and than I can run a fat aluminum cable to the house.
What type of pressure tank would I need in the house. What psi should I have in the house.
I am capable of finishing this, but need help to be sure I have everything I need and purchasing the correct pump/motor size.

Thanks,
Bob in KY

bobandia

Reaction score
Just finished a 300 ft deep well. Water is at 172 ft and according to the driller I have 40 gallons per minute. I thought of putting the pump at about 200 ft. There is an additional rise of 110 ft to the house and the house is 700 ft from the well. I have 2 inch pipe in the ditch already and was thinking about a 1 1/4 inch flex from the well. I am thinking I need a 2hp for the 310 lift. I really need a list of what I need to buy to complete the system, and where is the best place to purchase what I need. I also have installed a Geothermal system and a 400 amp service.
In addition, I am thinking of using this well to feed another house down hill another 100 or so in elevation and about 1000 ft from the well. Would it be best to locate something near the well so when the other house needs water it can call for it?
How about the electrical part as well. Submersible in the well and than I can run a fat aluminum cable to the house.
What type of pressure tank would I need in the house. What psi should I have in the house.
I am capable of finishing this, but need help to be sure I have everything I need and purchasing the correct pump/motor size.

Thanks,
Bob in KY

BTW this is a 6 inch well.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would figure 200’ lift in the well, add another 110’ for the lift from well to house, then another 115’ to give you the 50 PSI you need when it gets to the house. That is a total of 425’ of lift. A 3 HP at 425’ will deliver about 18 GPM. A 2 HP will deliver about 12 GPM. If this is an open loop Geo system, you don’t want to use any larger pump than you have to, to reduce the pumping cost for the Geo. I would even consider a two pump system to keep the well pump HP as low as possible for the Geo system.

Normal houses can get by with about 5 GPM each. We need to know the max flow required by the Geo system to add to that. I am guessing 10 GPM for both houses plus another 10 GPM for the Geo system. If the water level pulls down to 200’, while both houses are using water and the Geo is running at max, a 3 HP will still deliver 20 GPM at 35 PSI, which should be sufficient. Running a 3 HP for low flow from a Geo system can be expensive on the electric bill. Even with the amp reduction created by a CSV at low flow, that 3 HP pump will still be using about 2 HP worth of energy.

With a two pump system you could use a 2 HP in the well, which will only produce about 20 PSI at the top house, using a 10/30 pressure switch. This will feed the Geo system directly, which doesn’t require much pressure. Then you can tee in a jet type booster pump to increase the pressure to 50 (using a 40/60 pressure switch) anytime the upper house needs water. The 1 HP booster pump will only come on when the upper house needs water, which is a very small percentage of time compared to the length of time the Geo system runs by itself. When both houses are running while the Geo system is at max flow, the well pump will be pulling 2 HP load and the booster pump will be pulling 1 HP, for a total of 3 HP load that happens only when everything is running at the same time. When the Geo system is running by itself, a CSV on the 2 HP well pump will reduce the power from a 2 HP pump to about 1 HP load. This will save a lot of energy (66%) over using a 3 HP to do everything.

No matter which way you go, the lower house will need a Pressure Reducing Valve set at about 50 PSI, to keep from having too much pressure from the drop in elevation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you have a closed loop heat pump, or if you have an open loop and don't mind the extra enegy cost, you can put a 3 HP in the well and turn the pressure up high enough to get what you want at the upper house. Then just put a pressure reducing valve at the lower house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks