Drain and vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

Daveclink

Reaction score
After completely gutting my bathroom I have a number of questions about the original install of the vent and drain pipes and how to fix the issue.

The drain pipes and vent pipe are 1 1/2 PVC

The drain pipe to the right will be contected to a double sink with a separate vent connected to the existing stack. Do I need to change all the pipes to 2"?

about 7 feet away from the double sink will be the shower. Will I need a separate vent for the shower? If so can I connect it to the exixting stack.

can I connect a 2" drain to a 1 1/2 vent?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dave

Attachments

• DSCN0941.jpg
    DSCN0941.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 300

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The size of the vent is determined by the number and type of fixtures it must vent - for a sink and shower, 1.5" should be okay, but typically, in cold climates, it must be upsized before it goes through the roof to prevent hoar frost from closing it off.

The shower and in-wall drains for the vanity should be 2", and you may be able to wet vent the shower from the lav, if it is done properly. Otherwise, the shower will need its own connection into the vent.

Daveclink

Reaction score
Thank you, Jim

I will replace all the 1 1/2" with 2"'

Can I stay with the same type of connections as in the picture?

You can't see it in the picture but the drain/vent pipe is connected to the 3" waste pipe about 1 foot below the elbow

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That picture is almost useless because of all the intervening "stuff" which obscure the drains. Many plumbers, but not me, run sink drains using 1 1/2" pipe. The shower drain should be 2". As for vents, the actual way the drains are installed would determine where vents would be needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks