Washing Machine Drainage Code Help

Users who are viewing this thread

mooxe

Reaction score
Goodday,

I have a washing machine that drains directly into the pipe that connects to septic tank. There is no trap. The washing machine drain hose is threaded onto the drainage pipe. I spent quite awhile searching these forums and have concluded this does not meet code. The proper S and P trap configuration wont work because I cannot connect it upwards to the vent pipe, its nowhere near the laundry room. The sink and the connections you can see going to the left will all be removed, please disregard them. I want to put a trap in because I can smell the odours sometimes. If I am going to take it apart and fix it, I want to meet code. Here's some pictures...

Image 1 shows connection to drain from washer
Image 2 is just an extension of image one, showing pipe going through floor
image 3 is the hookup to the main pipe going to my septic tank

Whats my best option?

Attachments

• 20130103_184149.jpg
    20130103_184149.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 508
  • 20130103_184208.jpg
    20130103_184208.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 437
  • 20130103_184305.jpg
    20130103_184305.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 454

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally I like to see a 2" for the washer drain.
Your's looks to be 1.5"

A simple fix would be to cut in a santee, add a short piece of pipe with a p-trap, and run a standpipe for it.
Where the washer goes in now, you can either continue that as a vent through the roof, or worst case, AAV it.

A nice upgrade would be to cut in a 3x2 wye and run the washer drain in 2"
That would be the code way to do it. That and extending the vent up and out.

mooxe

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, everything makes sense to me. One more question.

Can I run the vent into my ceiling, and then hook it up to the vent going through the roof? Or is it advisable to just run a new vent through my roof?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You can hook it to ANY existing "vent" as long as it is not really a drain line from something. What is the "T" that goes behind the washing machine? If it goes to a laundry sink, then the pipe being used for the washer drain was "originally", the vent for it, and the washer draining is sucking the water out of the sink's trap, which is why you are getting odors.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks