"Landlord Special" won't seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

rayce00

Reaction score
Yes, it's a cheapie. I have tried 2 plain wax rings and now a reinforced one...I still can't get a seal, the carpet around the front base still shows moisture. Is there anything (trick of the trade) I can try short of replacing the entire fixture?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
leak

Does the toilet wobble?
Check for a leak between the tank and bowl.
Check the supply pipe.
Carpeting will make it harder sometimes to nail it down sometimes.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the toilet rocks at all, it will leak regardless of the number of wax rings....so, you need to check that first. It is not uncommon to need to shim the toilet to keep it from rocking, especially on older structures that have seen their share of leaks. You need a little finnese,as if you shim after smushing it down, you are likely to mess up the wax seal. So, set it without the wax, shim it, then remove it carefully so you don't mess up the shims, then wax ring, then set it back down on top of the shims and cinch it down into the wax.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks