A question about copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

jfd425

Reaction score
I have a 1960s home with slab on grade constuction. There is a plumbing chase between the kitchen and bathroom about 8" wide where the copper exits the slab and runs to plumbing in the bathroom. Last year, the bathroom was remodeled and a new shower mixing valve was installed. There are copper lines that run approximately 2 feet horizontally outside of the slab, then 90 up to the mixing valve. The plumber used 1/2" compression style ball valves below the mixing valve that are accessed through a panel in the kitchen cabinet on the other side of the wall. The pipes are strapped in one place at a stud location before the 90 up to the mixing valve.

Recently, I insulated the exterior (8" portion) of that plumbing chase as there were some drafts. I also stuffed some fiberglass insulation around the inside of the tub from the other side. I tried to avoid making contact with the copper lines, but they may have been bumped a few times during this process.

My question is in regard to the strength of these lines and the compression valves. Did I compromise the integrity of the plumbing through my fumbling? I am not at all familiar with the properties of copper (obviously not a plumber!) There are no leaks, but as they say it is a lack of knowledge that causes worry.

Thanks for any insight someone can provide. This is a great forum.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should be fine. They can take some movement. Often we nail on pipe supports after the work is done, that's bumping them pretty good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks