Separate hot and cold water valves

Users who are viewing this thread

bpap

Reaction score
Just a quick update and thanks to those that helped. Got the valve seat out with a #6 Easy Out as was recommended. The valve seat was about 50% corroded or broken apart. Now I need to see if I can find a replacement. The only identifying mark is on the escutcheon which indicate "Empire".

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just so you know, most plumbers would have slammed in a new single handle and been done with it.

But I guess you're getting close to having a working bath fixture.

bpap

Reaction score
Just so you know, most plumbers would have slammed in a new single handle and been done with it.

Yes. And I should clarify that I found a second plumber that actually got the seat out. I bought the #6 Easy Out and told him it had been suggested as a way to get it out. I am sure he was already was aware of that method. Anyway, he used that and my socket wrench extension to make it reach and had to put a lot of force into it to get the seat out (I had been very hesitant to put that much force on it as I was afraid I would just make things even worse than I had already made them).

He had also suggested the single handle route but indicated a lot of people don't like to do that, and I am certainly one of them. The first plumber I had come out also suggested the single handle method and did not want to do anything other than that.

Hopefully a replacement seat can be found. If so, I will have saved quite a few dollars, learned quite a bit, and have the separate hot and cold handles that I prefer. Apparently I may be one of the few people that prefers this though.

Slowly making progress. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks