Water Softener Drain Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Really appreciate the feedback; now I'm encouraged to measure mine and see how it compares to theory. I still like the idea of heating the drain line somehow (I are an EE, not a plumber), but I'd only be guessing without knowing your exact situation. But while thinking about that, power failure came to mind. So the next question is -- what happens if the power fails while the valve is in the backwash postion? Does the backwash continue until power is restored? I've been assuming all along, for some reason, that you're on municipal water, which, unfortunately, is likely NOT to stop in the event of power failure. HJ's solution, to design the outside drain & vent so it WON'T freeze, avoids this issue, but you could wind up with a skating rink in the yard.

74° here today...

bioran

Reaction score
I have well water, so once the power goes out everything is off (well pump, softener, sump pump) and that should not be an issue. I had already tried the design so that the drain wont freeze but the softener seems to hold water in the drain line (like keeping your finger on a straw).

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
That can be cured with a larger-diameter drain line, but how large is large enough is a guess. Maybe a concentric arrangement of drain line, insulation, large outer pipe might work. So many options...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The drain line ID is too small.

It should be 5/8" OD (CTS - copper tubing size PE tubing) and that will be 1/2" ID so it correctly fits the barbed end on the fitting on the control valve. That is unless you have a very old Kenmore etc. softener that used 3/8" ID tubing.

Cutting the end of the drain line at a 45* angle will allow the line to drain without a hole etc.. Rounding the sharp 90* inside edge of the end of the tubing with a knife will help too.

Salty water and the majority of pumps don't get along well for very long. And a larger barrel would be a good idea if you continue to use one; which I would not suggest.

Power goes off and your pressure tank empties and that can be an additional few to maybe 10 gals more water than when the well pump lost power.

bioran

Reaction score
The barrel solution has been working, but it does seem like an accident waiting to happen if the pump goes so I'm just looking at it as temporary for now.

Gary, I would like to try the solution you offered above. The barb for the drain is definitely intended for a 3/8" ID - I double checked with the owners manual also. It's a 2008 model that I bought new when I moved into the house. Wouldn't it be possible to use an adapter to go from 3/8" ID to 1/2" ID? I'm also not familiar with the CTS tubing you recommended. Is that sold at Lowes/Home Depot?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You should be able to get an adapter from 3/8" ID to 1/2" ID at hardware or big box stores or make your own.

Water line materials used in residential houses is all CTS. Water line materials used to deliver water to the house (private well or 'city' water) is usually IPS (iron pipe size).

CTS (copper tubing size) maintains the OD and the ID varies based on wall thickness which varies based on pressure rating. CTS is copper, PEX, the old PB, CPVC and drain line type PE. All of which can use compression type fittings in addition to soldered and barbed.

IPS maintains the ID and the OD varies, based on the pressure rating. IPS is PE for water lines, CPVC, steel. The PE, PB and PEX plastics use barbed fittings, PVC solvent welded slip or threaded fittings and steel is threaded.

You can't use heaters on plastic drain lines because if the water drains out, the heat can melt the plastic or start a fire because there would be no water to soak up the heat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks