Hose clamp will not seal!

Users who are viewing this thread

jok

Reaction score
This shouldn't be so difficult. Dishwasher drain is connected to garbage disposal. Existing rubber connector that connects hose to disposal cracked and was leaking. No problem, just replace the rubber coupling.

Went out and bought a new $2.99 Lasco coupling, slipped one end over the disposal connection and the other over the 1/2" copper pipe that was connected to the 5/8" ID dishwasher hose, and tightened the hose clamps.

The small ID end of the new rubber connector leaks. Things I've tried: replaced 1/2" copper with 1/2" barbed poly; tried different hose clamps; loosened hose clamp; tightened hose clamp. See photo. You can see a drop of water about to drip.

What am I missing? Obviously, the new connector is not sealing around the barbed fitting. Is the barbed fitting just too small? I'm using 1/2", but 3/4" seems too big. Are these connectors known to be oversized such that they're too loose?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 599

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Cut off the end of the Lasco coupling at the "step" that fits your DW's hose and slide the hose, with the copper tubing inside it, into the coupling, then use a "screw type" hose clamp.

jok

Reaction score
Thanks very much, HJ! I waited a few days to reply, so I could run the dishwasher a few times. It definitely did the trick.

So, is your description the "correct" way to do it, or is it just a solution to this symptom of a slightly oversized connector? Just curious for the next time. Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; So, is your description the "correct" way to do it, or is it just a solution to this symptom of a slightly oversized connector?

It could be either, but then I have never seen a "oversized" connector. It is the way I do it, when I have had to work with hoses which have had the end cut off to connect to an air gap since I was discontinuing it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks