(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Declining hot water output - how to fix ?

Hybrid View

Default Declining hot water output - how to fix ?

BACKGROUND: Over the past few months the hot water is running out more and more quickly, on my Rheem Guardian Fury 22V50F1 gas water heater installed in June 2007. For the first five years since installation, it would take about 30 minutes of continuous running of the upstairs shower bath for the hot water to exhaust, with water temperature set to 130 degrees. Starting a few months back the output of hot water has been declining, and is currently taking about 15 minutes to run out.

QUESTION: Will appreciate advice on what to do. Will it be cheapest to replace the existing heater ? The warranty runs out in June 2013. Will the warranty cover this problem ?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Warranty is usually about leaking. If you have particularly hard water or are running on a well that is pumping up sand; the tank could be partly full of minerals or sand.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks for the advice on warranty. Our local water is not particularly hard. When I drained the tank, the first few seconds of water flow was a little bit gray in color, then it cleared up for the remainder of the drainage. 24 hours after refilling the tank it was still running out of hot water in about 15 minutes.

I had this issue about a year ago but it was an electric water heater and it was a burnt out element. However since gas water heaters don't have elements check the burner on it. This maybe your issue.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Make sure nothing is drawing water, then go check out your water meter. If it is turning, you have a leak, and with the symptoms you're seeing, it's likely on the hot water side. A constant leak will keep a WH from maintaining much hot water with the constant introduction of cold water. Even a small leak can be an issue both for water/sewer expenses, and fuel to try to heat it.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default Declining hot water output - how to fix ?

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Make sure nothing is drawing water, then go check out your water meter. If it is turning, you have a leak, and with the symptoms you're seeing, it's likely on the hot water side. A constant leak will keep a WH from maintaining much hot water with the constant introduction of cold water. Even a small leak can be an issue both for water/sewer expenses, and fuel to try to heat it.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the water meter while all taps were off. The meter was not turning. Could the problem arise from [1] an attenuated flame [2] attenuated transfer of heat from the flame to the water in the tank ?