Installing new tub fixtures help please

Users who are viewing this thread

akholbrook

Reaction score
I hate to be the one who joins and immediately ask for help but I have never replaced any fixtures in a bathtub before and I know there are certain things that need to be done before attempting this job. My house was built in the 70's and the previous owner never updated or changed any fixtures in this house. I want to replace the drain, overflow, spout (which is cracked) and the hot/cold water handle. I already have the tool to remove old drain so I'm good on that and the overflow is off. I have verified that the spout is screw off and not held on by a hex. My issue is the hot/cold handle. This handle base has the tub to shower selector and the newer fixtures have this selector on the spout. Is it possible to install spout with the shower selector on the spout vice the handle? Also, there is no indication of the handle that is currently installed so I probably will not be able to install the same brand. Will this be an issue? An employee at Lowes was telling me that I need to put in an access panel behind the shower to install this. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you post a picture of what you have, someone may be able to ID it.

If you opt to replace with a new pressure balanced single handle, then you can go with an access panel behind, or with a remodel plate from the front side.
Both Delta and Moen have those.

akholbrook

Reaction score
delta-600-old.jpg

As requested this is what I have. Would it be possible to add a spout with the shower selector when I have currently have the shower selector on the hot/cold handle base?

Last edited by a moderator:

akholbrook

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question but when I am putting in an access panel behind the fixture, how do I determine the right location to cut the dry wall out? I'll have to do put the access panel in my closet that is behind the shower but is there an easy way to mark the location in the closet so I can make a precise cut?

akholbrook

Reaction score
Ok, that's what my plan was just wanted to make sure that's what I was supposed to do. Last question before I start this endeavor, do I shut the water off at the street or can I shut it off at the water heater? Thank you again Terry.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need to shut both the hot and cold off to the valve. If you have a main shutoff in the house (most places do), then that's where to do it. Note, when you've shut the water off, it's often a good idea to shut the water heater off just in case it gets partly drained - depending on the type, it could burn out if the WH isn't full.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the heater is in the basement, it will not "partially drain". IF you kept the existing valve with the integral diverter, you COULD also use a modern spout with the diverter and EITHER one would change the flow to the shower head, but NO new trim is compatible with that style of valve body.

akholbrook

Reaction score
I just wanted to thank everyone. I was able to replace the fixtures but still have a bit of leaking (I believe from the cartridge) but I was unable to remove the cartridge and didn't want to break it. However I will be stripping if this weekend again and try to find a replacement cartridge or maybe just some O rings and such.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks