Unstopped upstairs tub now downstairs kitchen spewing debris. What's going on??

Users who are viewing this thread

Foogoo

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm hoping you guys can help me wrap my head around what's happening with my situation and why.

I recently purchased a condo and noticed the upstairs tub was completely stopped.I took apart the stopper and removed what appeared to be 10 years worth of hair and grime. The tub finally drained!

I left for a day and when I returned, my kitchen sink (directly below the bathroom) was full of debris (sand, pebbles, etc.). I took apart the drain and it was completely impacted with similar debris. I snaked it to 25' to no avail. Now when the upstairs tub drains, debris and water will come up the kitchen drain. All other toilets and drains on both floors work fine. The kitchen drain also previously worked fine.

Where is all this coming from? And why would only a few gallons flowing through the previously stopped upstairs tub unleash this torrent of junk? Unfortunately, I can't find the clean out and I'm fearing it's inside the wall of the garage below. Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the tub and the kitchen are on the same stack, then the kitchen may need some serious drain cleaning. Not saying the removing the hair from the tub was responsible though.

Foogoo

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Can rooters be run directly from the drain? Or should they be run from the clean out? I'm debating whether I should try rooting from the drain or just wait for the plumber.

Foogoo

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I couldn't tell you where that spot is either! I'll just wait for the plumber and this will give me an excuse to relax a day for once.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If your house is older,, it may lack cleanouts, and thus the first access may be into the wall under the kitchen sink. THis can be a bit messy, but a good plumber will treat you right. The size of cable he can get in there will be limited, but at a mininum he can get the pipe open. Depending on what he finds, he may recommend getting into the larger pipe somehow .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks