Odd: Potassium Taste

Users who are viewing this thread

amkazen

Reaction score
Hi,

We have had our Culligan water softener system for 10 years with one minor issue but I forget what it was. Culligan came out, fixed whatever was wrong, and it has been fine since. However, I went to get a drink of water from the kitchen faucet just now and yuch! The water has such a bad taste I spit it out. All I can think of is the softener is cycling right now....the timer must be off or something as it is only 7:30 pm....and I was tasting potassium. Is this a reasonable thought? And, why after 10 yrs would this be the 1st I have tasted this? Is it because it is cycling right now? Can I stop the cycling and have it restart, and if so, will the taste go away really fast? Thanks.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would be best to let the system finish the cleaning cycle and the reset the timer on the unit so that it cleans at 2 am.
Is it one of the digital units or the older clock types?
Has there been more water in the salt tank than normal?

amkazen

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The cycle completed and the water is finally starting to taste better. It was odd that this was the 1st time we had this issue after 10 years. The power has gone out multiple times before and the timer has never been adjusted. So, it is another thing to check periodically. It is one of the digital units. And, I have not noticed any additional water in the potassium tank than normal.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Normally there is not salt or other taste while the system is in the cleaning cycle, but some times if a seal is a little leaky there might be some slippage.
A system can run like that for years with no problems because it is at 2am and there is no one to taste the water or even use the water so no salty water ends up in the house lines past the softener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks