in well pump 200 feet down is splitting my pvc pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

speedyt

Reaction score
I have recently come across this problem where The Pvc pipe is being split like there was high pressure. Ive used this well for many years with no problems. In the last 3 months Ive had to pull the pump out cause I lost water do to this strange accurance with the pipe being split like as if it had been stretched and bursted. The burst on the pipe is up about 1-2 feet from the pump. Again this is an in well pump 200 feet down. Thanks for your help and replies.

kind regards,
stephan

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
006.jpg

I see a few of these a year.

speedyt

Reaction score
it expands like this on the black pvc pipe at the bottom of the well. Above the threads tho. 1 foot above the pump. Do you think its the pipe or the pump doing something strange

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the pipe is swelled, I would say that the pump is running dry and turning what little water there is into steam which is then swelling the pipe.

I would do a simple yield test to find out how much water your well is making.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Holy Schneikei!!

How does that happen?

We see this all the time. In our area most people don't think it is cold enough to need a pitless adapter. So the well head freezes, the water can't get to the pressure tank, water in the pump heats up, swells the pipe, and the pump falls off. It can also happen if you pump the well dry as Craig says. It can also happen if the nipple to the pressure switch is clogged, have a hole in the pipe, or the pressure switch doesn't shut off the pump as it should.

If the pipe were not swelling I would agree with LL, as a split can also be caused by having too many check valves.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If the pipe were not swelling I would agree with LL, as a split can also be caused by having too many check valves.

I missed the part about the pipe swelling. The OP did not mention the type of pump. If it is one of those VFD types, they can make some crazy pressures fast when they mess up.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
035.jpg

This one was on a Sub Drive 100..... The first one on a 1 hp with a QD pump tek.

This is what happens when the pumps run long enough to create steam in a weak well. In both cases the wet ends were wiped right out.

Valveman, both of these jobs had pitless adapters buried 4+ feet.

Pretty damn amazing

speedyt

Reaction score
yupp. Same thing happened again , pipe swelled and bursted just like this picture. yesterday was not a good day at -20 pulling the pump outta the 250 foot well. Thanks for great information. We now lowered the pump an xtra 50 -60 feet down. hopefully it all is good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks