Gould BF03S pump with bladder tank

Users who are viewing this thread

cmose40

Reaction score
Our lakeside summer camp has a 40 +/- year old Gould BF03S pump, pumping from the lake. The BF03S is a non-submersed shallow well pump with a float Type air volume control. Within the last few years a Sears 19 gal captive air bladder tank was added to the system. Operationally there are no problems, we have good water pressure and the pump cycles fine.

This winter I have rebuilt the BF03S. I have noticed a small leak in the diaphragm of the air volume control. This is a float type AVC, which operates a an air bleeder valve to activate a second valve to inject air on the suction side of the pump. Anyway, given there is a bladder tank in the system, do I even need the AVC on the pump? I am wondering if I do need to replace it, or can I just cap it off and go without it. Not sure if the AVC is needed for anything if there is also a bladder tank. But also, "if it ain't broke" applies, as the pump seems to work great with AVC and bladder tank.

Thank you.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would think that if the air snifter was working, you would be getting air in your lines. With a bladder tank, there is no where for the air to go except out the faucets.

cmose40

Reaction score
Yes I suppose it is very possible that the AVC has not been functional at all. But should I go ahead and remove it, or is it worthwhile to restore its function.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That big bulb on top of that pump is a regular hydro pneumatic (non bladder) type tank. It needed air to work properly. But since you added a bladder tank you don't want to add any air to the system and just let the bulb tank get waterlogged. So I would remove the air injector so it can't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks