(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Metal Shower Spout/Pipe to CPVC Fitting

DIY Junior Member

Default Metal Shower Spout/Pipe to CPVC Fitting

I have cpvc pipes. At the top there is a threaded fitting with a rubber gasket inside. My question is how to get the angled shower head pipe in so that it is tight enough and lined up. Mine needs to be tighter but would need another full turn to line it up right, I am afraid it will either destroy the rubber gasket or break the fitting. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Most people who have done some plumbing know better than to use plastic threaded fittings because of the likelihood of cracking. I would never use CPVC on a shower riser.

The only thing you can do is try using a liberal amount of pipe dope on the threads and turn it in until it is fairly tight and facing the right direction. If that does not work, it's time to get out the saw for some re-work.

Thread tape will work a lot better than pipe dope for that purpose, especially the thicker pink or yellow tape.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

"Just enough" teflon tape would work, but too much might result in a cracked fitting.

I have also seen a lot of shower arms with poorly cut threads- I have one laying here somewhere that looks like it has acme thread instead of pipe.

DIY Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    "Just enough" teflon tape would work, but too much might result in a cracked fitting.

I have also seen a lot of shower arms with poorly cut threads- I have one laying here somewhere that looks like it has acme thread instead of pipe.
    Thanks for all the help, I will try the teflon tape. Can't do anything about the riser being cpvc, it has been in there for years with no problems so far as far as cracking, etc. It doesn't leak as long as it is tight enough, the problem is the alignment is about 1/8 of a turn too far. If I do have to replace it I'll use one with the brass threads. Great forum, thanks all.

Replace the gasket with a proper sized "O" ring and you will be able to compress it enough to be tight and aligned properly.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber