Kohler valvet question

Users who are viewing this thread

analogguy

Reaction score
I have to replace a Kohler valvet stem assembly (hot side) and was wondering if there is a trick to installing it correctly. Should the valve be all the way open or all the way closed when installed? I've read somewhere that if done incorrectly the handle will just keep spinning and will not work. Thanks.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
keep the stem half closed. Tighten it by hand ensuring that the stem can spin freely until the bonnet is tight. Why not replace the hot and cold at the same time while the water is off? Do not apply any grease on the stem, have had them open by itself after using greaseon the stem (brass barrel type).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Anything except "closed". You have to hold the stem while tightening the bonnet or it will open or close itself, depending on whether it is a right hand or left hand stem. If it opens, no problem, if it closes, you will NOT be able to tighten it properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks