How to connect ABS Drain to Brass P-Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

GoruckDIYer

Reaction score
I'm installing a new tub ( an Americast Cambridge left-hand drain apron tub, nothing fancy) and bought this drain for it :
The drain is ABS.

The existing plumbing has a brass P-Trap which I can access from the 1st floor.

My question is how to connect these two? Should I unsweat/remove the Brass Trap and put in a different one? Can I simply tighten the new ABS Drain down to the Brass Trap using the connection ring it came with and some teflon tape on the threads? Will this leak or crack once hot water hits it? Should I use a Fernco coupling?

I'm a bit lost as to what to do to avoid leaks. Once this is connected I'll be closing up the access and it'll be a major deal if it leaks on me.

Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You would use a trap adapter with slip joint nut and rubber washer. No tape on the threads.

Or............you can cut the brass trap off and using a fernco shielded coupling convert to an ABS trap with ABS trap adapter.

That tub waste and overflow is likely the 1.5" tubing dimension for use with a slip joint nut and washer.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, the admonition...plumbing in MA must be done by a licensed plumber, even in a private dwelling. That aside, it depends on the type of connection that was there. If it is a slip fitting (tubular) with a compression washer, then the new drain would fit in and shouldn't leak. This type of connection uses the tapered washer as the seal...Teflon tape will likely cause it to leak, not prevent it. Without seeing it, it's hard to say for sure. You'd probably find that the tapered washer may need replacement, but it might be fine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
First off, I am not a fan of tub drains using plastic tubing, rather than pipe, but aside from that, it will probably use the same connection as the old one, assuming it is in the proper location, which is usually NOT the case. If it ia not, then you will have to remove the trap and position a new one in the proper location.

GoruckDIYer

Reaction score
You would use a trap adapter with slip joint nut and rubber washer. No tape on the threads.

Or............you can cut the brass trap off and using a fernco shielded coupling convert to an ABS trap with ABS trap adapter.

That tub waste and overflow is likely the 1.5" tubing dimension for use with a slip joint nut and washer.

Something like this?

Or should I look for a Brass trap adapter? Or does it matter?

Also, the brass trap has a male fitting on the end, not sure if that complicates matters.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That fitting goes on the pipe and your drain slips into it, which is NOT what you are looking for. Your drain assembly should already have the "trap adapter" since there was a tub there previously. How about a picture of the existing so we can see if you are trying to make the process more difficult than necessary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks