Whether to caulk and scribe my vanity

Users who are viewing this thread

Buttonsrtoys

Reaction score
I'm finishing up an install of the vanity in the pic. The vanity cabinet and sink are fastened to the wall with lags in blocking and anchor bolts in plaster so it seems quite secure. I made sure the sink was level, but after the install I noticed that the floor isn't level, so the front of the vanity is 3/16" off the floor and the back sits on the floor. It's not enough to notice so I'm thinking of leaving it. I could take it off and scribe it, but its melamine and finished on the bottom, so ripping it and setting it on the floor seems like it would wick up lots of water and break apart.

I'm curious for feedback if leaving it is the way to go. Alternatively, I could run a bead of silicone under it. If I go this route, should it be clear or white?

Also, the sink top is rounded where it butts against the wall. Should that get a bead as well? White?

Thanks in advance...
Vanity.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Put some shims underneath the front before you caulk it (done right, the caulk would hide them). Otherwise, when/if someone leans on the thing, you won't be stressing the cabinet. It is designed to be sitting on the floor all around - you don't want it just hanging there from the back edge.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes you need to caulk around the back of the sink to prevent water splash from running
down between the sink and wall it calls for a water proof washable surface
ie; water proof caulking

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks