Toilet squeeks when flushed

Users who are viewing this thread

Chinar74

Reaction score
We have a new Drake II Toto I installed two weeks ago. Looks great and flushes great, but one minor problem. After about one week, there is a short high-pitched squeak / honk noise when you flush - right as it starts to refill the tank and another at the end of the refill cycle. The water feed valve at the wall is all the way open. Is there an adjustment I can make, or is this a faulty valve? Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Mine has always had that little squeak too.

Quieter than a Fluidmaster though. It's all relative. Some valves are so noisey that you wouldn't have noticed a little squeak; your ears have already been beaten on by high pitched whinning of rushing water through the valve during refill

Chinar74

Reaction score
Thanks - it's not that bad, I was just curious. No one else in the house has noticed the squeak - but they all noticed how well it flushes!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I could be that your water pressure is on the high side. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a water pressure gauge (about $10) and check it. If you get one with a tattle tale hand, it will register peak pressure if you leave it on say overnight. You can get them with a fitting that will screw onto your hose bib, washing machine, or WH drain, just like a hose; or, get some adapters, and screw it on most anywhere else.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I had more than a little squeak from the Voreto valve (Type A on this link) that came on one of my Drakes and probably came with your toilet: Toto Valve Servicing Instructions

I ripped it out and replaced it with a Korky 528 (Type B on the same link). Problem solved, no more squeak. I have 6 of our 7 toilets now with Korky 528 valves, and they shut off without a chirp. They are original equipment on some Toto models, and they are Toto's Universal Replacement Fill Valve (Toto Model TSU99A.X). They come in different configurations; for your Drake II, you could either get the Toto TSU99A.X (made by Korky in Wisconsin) from a plumbing supply place or just get the Korky 528MPK ("MaxPerformance") Fill Valve at Lowe's (or Lowe's.com) for $10.47. They are basically-identical. They take about ten minutes to replace. If you had fun installing the toilet, replacing the fill valve is a piece of cake.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks