plumbing layout for remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

itmyfault

Reaction score
Hi first let me say this forum has been a wealth of information over the last few months. Now I am moving from "guest" to "member" or pain in the backside
(at least according to my wife!!!) Any way on to my reason for posting.
Our old home was a double wide that had the "glamour bath" which spoiled both of us to a separated large tub and shower.
We bought our new house in 2010 which is a builder spec home. He didn't use the cheapest materials but it wasn't high end either. Due to my wife's health conditions the Dr's have been suggesting hydrotherapy as a treatment. Plus she really misses a deep tub. So like any loving husband, I want to do anything possible to help her health.
After lots of planning I have came up with a layout that I think is the best use of the space. Now I am trying to get a plan together for how to put it all together.
First little info on the current layout. The bath is 5 ft wide 10ft deep with a standard tub/shower, toilet and 46 inch vanity. The drain line runs from back of the house straight to the street. There is a 3 inch cleanout on backside of house. From cleanout the drain goes through the kitchen then runs about 4-6 inches behind the bathroom wall then out to the street. Just outside the front of house there is a 4 inch cleanout but I figure under the house would all be 3 inch. (???) I would just look under the house but it is on a slab. In the attic only one 2 inch vent runs to roof. It looks to be coming from behind the vanity. So my guess would be vanity is used as wet vent for entire bath.
That now brings me to part two. I am trying to find a plan that will minimize the runs and venting. My back will greatly appreciate me not breaking up entire floor. So I am going to upload couple pictures. The yellow will be current layout and the white the new one. I know there is probably a million ways to do this. I am just looking for a simple way. Here is some other info:

Live in Arkansas which uses IPC with minor state adjustments.
I will take the plan to the code enforcement inspector before starting.
I will be getting a permit.
I will be doing most of the work alone or with "limited" help.

I know the best thing would be to hire a plumber. But we have enough funds to either buy the materials or pay a plumber. With my wife's health I don't want to put it off any longer than necessary.
Thanks for any information you can provide.

Billy

Attachments

• oldbath.jpg
    oldbath.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 950
  • bathnew.jpg
    bathnew.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,921
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The changes you are making are too extensive to even try to tell you how to do it. You need someone THERE who can see the entire picture and make a suggestion. My suggestion is that you wait until you can afford both the materials and plumber, (but since you do not know how to do it, how do you know how much the materials will cost in the first place?).

itmyfault

Reaction score
I have grown up with construction all around me. My entire family did everything themselves. I had lots of family and friends that were willing to show me how things should be done. I have personally completed many projects. All the houses we have lived in were renovated or built by us. Materials are pretty easy to figure up. I used to work at a building supply store and helped out in the project estimate area. I have worked on plumbing I am familiar with the basic principles. My plan was to wait till we could afford a plumber. However, in the last few months my wife's health has declined significantly. I lost my dad 3 years ago and I left several things he wanted me to do for him and mom undone. That feeling of letting him down still haunts me today. While no one knows when they will go. She could out live me. But we have to also be realistic. The bathroom was the one thing she has mentioned since the day we sold our old home. If there is anyway possible I am not going to live with another "why didn't I do it" again.

itmyfault

Reaction score
the reason I posted here is to get advice on how "you" would do it. I have a plan I drew up. I will post it here and see if I am on the right track.

Attachments

• bathnew1.jpg
    bathnew1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 8,119

itmyfault

Reaction score
Maybe someone on here would be willing to tell me if I am even on the right track. Nothing is started. Nothing is finalized. This is the planning phase. Getting ducks in a row. You know information. :rolleyes:
I am just the kind of person that plans and plans (builds things in my head) a million times before I ever think of starting. Playing out ever step from every angle possible. Drives my wife crazy!:cool:

I am posting a basic layout plan. I know it is rudimentery but it gives the general idea. The other is proposed new layout.
I know exact fittings are not listed. But my plan was to use combo wyes at the main line, 3 inch PVC from toilet and all others would be 2 inch PVC. The yellow circles represent 2 inch vents tying together in the attic then to roof.

I will include the current layout (yellow picture) as told to me by builder. He wasn't sure of the exact layout but said this was pretty close. There is a 2 inch vent coming off the lavatory that should wet vent the tub and toilet.
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:D

Attachments

• new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 891
  • oldbathpipe.jpg
    oldbathpipe.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 841
Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Right track? Without seeing the construction, the framing, exact measurements and distances there is no "right track". The best you will get is good luck.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would vent the toilet using a 3x2 combo, and after that, throw in a wye and vent the tub with a 2x1.5 combo looking up. Take those two vents and revent at 42"

On the lav and shower, the lav can wet vent the shower.
So in that drawing, i would have three vents coming out of the floor.

Or you can place a wye before the wall for the toilet, and use a 2" combo to vent the toilet, using one vent.
I would angle the 3x2 wye so that the tub is taken off above the flow line of the 3" pipe, and use the tub vent for the toilet.
I'm assuming you have fairly shallow pipes in the ground now, and can't stack your fittings like you could in a crawl.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
I am posting a basic layout plan. I know it is rudimentery but it gives the general idea. The other is proposed new layout.

How about a drawing like below instead of lines on paper.

Attachments

• Plumbing%20Lay%20Out%206-1.jpg
    Plumbing%20Lay%20Out%206-1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 17,525

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What your drawing shows and HOW you actually install the piping could be two entirely different things, so we would have to know how you plan to route the piping first. I have seen customers take a "perfect" drawing of a drain line, given to them by the city building department, and install a 100% "illegal" system using their interpretation of the drawing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks