Is bigger better in my overflow tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

jmoser

Reaction score
I'm replacing my old 80 gal galvanized tank for my submersible pump well system. I'm thinking to buy the biggest welXtrol tank I can afford. My houselhold needs are small, with only 3 adults living in my home. But I water a little less than 2 acres using hoses s and sprinklers, which I do not run at maximum effiicency to keep my pump from cycling. I plan to intall an irrigation system in the future, and possibly irrigate most of my 5 acres, but I plan to have my well, pump etc analyzed to plan an appropriate system at that time.

Other than spending unnecssary dollars up front on a tank bigger than I might need, what are the drawbacks to having a very large tank?

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Sometimes I can't help but wonder if these guys are earning a commission for posting.

The P-side kick is fine if you want to get rid of a big tank. If you really want to go all out, a big tank AND a cycle stop valve will result in the least amount of pump cycles.

jmoser

Reaction score
That is the plan I'm considering. I have read where cycleman recommends a smaller tank. I guess I feel like a larger tank is kind of insurance, in case for some reason the CSV is not in the system. My understanding is that an oversized tank with a csv will give lower or more variable pressure for a longer time until the tank pressure drops enough for the pump to kick in. Just wondering if this is significant enou to have concern. I guess if it didn't bother me before I wouldn't notice it much?
Sometimes I can't help but wonder if these guys are earning a commission for posting.

The P-side kick is fine if you want to get rid of a big tank. If you really want to go all out, a big tank AND a cycle stop valve will result in the least amount of pump cycles.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
With the small tank, the pump will have to run every time you leave the sink running long enough to wash your hands or brush your teeth.

It is always better for the pump to run continuously rather than to have it cycling. This is where the CSV makes sense.

When I take a shower, I cannot tell any difference in the pressure between the switch's 40-60psi range.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks