Installing new kitchen sink, why are there two wall drains?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nina in Florida

Reaction score
I have been hating my undermount dual compartment stainless sink for 8 years since I installed it. I have recently bought a big Kohler Vault sink. Its a drop in single compartment with the micro edge.

So now I know more about home improvement than I did when I bought this house. Thanks to the Internet. And I'm going to buy a new disposal since the Badger 5 isn't leaking yet, but is rusty. and I'm looking under the sink and I can't figure out why there are two drain in the wall under the sink.???

I'd like to attempt the plumbing of the new drain and disposal, but I'm not sure which drain to use? One is higher than the other.

Is one for the dishwasher? Do I need to add a p trap if I use that drain for the dishwasher? What about a air gap? I'm in Florida and you never see them here.

Is there any advantage to the dishwasher drain going into the disposal? I'm thinking the disposal could collect and chew up any food particles in the dishwasher?

I can post a picture, but its not that complicated. Seems when the house was built in the early 80's, a dishwasher was expected because I have 4 angle valves under the sink. So is that what the second drain is for?

Any tips or location of diagram on how to do it correctly will be appreciated

Single white female in Florida

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF they are stacked vertically one on top of the other, then they're as HJ said...IF they are separated horizontally, they may have just put in two traps. If it's two traps, you can cap one if you wish. OFten when replacing a sink the height of the connection in the wall is no longer usable if it is to high. You may need to rework the pipe. As to an air gap, that is the safest way to install a DW. It is required is some places, and recommended everywhere. But, your local code may allow only a high loop. IF you're going to install a new disposer, use the inlet on that for the DW, it's the easiest way and works fine.

dingjob

Reaction score
Opening this old thread back up with a follow up question.

My sink also has a drain and then below it a cleanout valve. I'm installing a deeper single bowl sink with a garbage disposal attached, so I'm worried about clearance and also worried because there isn't much height between the drain and the drain out of the disposal.

Can I use the cleanout value at the bottom as a my drain and put a cover on the top one? Is there really any harm in doing this? It would help me by providing me more room to work and also more gravity to pull water out of the disposal.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks