fleck 5600 econominder

Users who are viewing this thread

rightlane

Reaction score
hello all, i upgraded to a fleck 5600 econominder and have been happy for the last year, but it stopped working about a month ago. timer appears to not be keeping time at all and it won't manually regen. i replaced the timer motor and nothing changed. is there a way to check the transformer other than looking at the green light thats on it? thanks, chris

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a bad control board but make sure the wires are all well connected

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A digital volt meter is the correct way to check the transformer. Any common 24 v transfromer will work on that system, even a door bell transfromer, as long as it is 24VAC output. It should be able to supply 300mA. The led light is worthless, you have to check the actual output of the transformer. The motor has a tiny clear window on it as well that you can see if the motor has power, or you can put your ear to the valve and you will hear the motor turning. I assume you are referring to the actual 5600 econominder, the old school electro mechanical valve, no electronics.

rightlane

Reaction score
yes, the only wires i can find involve the timer motor. i hear and see nothing on either of the timers i have,. i will check for 300mA, thansk

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad transformer. look for a standard transformer, home depot or lowes should have them. 24VAC, 300mA or more mA will work fine.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Disregard my post. Wrong forum. I probably had a dozen windows open at the same time. This iPad is a pita lol

Yes, transformer is probably bad.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
A digital volt meter is the correct way to check the transformer.
Actually, for this application the cheapest analog voltmeter in the world (often free) will work just fine to check for 24VAC. Something more exotic will be needed for measuring the current, since an AC current capability is rarely built in to a VOM, even a high-end device. They usually require an external current clamp-on adapter, and they're usually intended for higher-current applications. Measuring a small AC current is a very unusual application, judging from the availability of instruments to do it. I have an old Amprobe RS-2 which could do that; it's a clamp-on instrument, with an attachment to multiply the native 0-6A scale to 0-0.6A.The equivalent package today can be had for about $140. If I didn't have that, and I had to measure 300ma, I'd probably buy a 0-1A panel meter (under $10).

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks