venting in a basement bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

kellyb

Reaction score
we are remodeling the basement in our 1923 bungalow, and currently, it is pretty much all ripped out. there has "always" been a 3/4 bath in the middle of the basment, and we are doing some work there. (this was someones past remodel, there is a rough floor patch over this area) I am currently trying to understand the plumbing that is there. The drain pipe for the upstairs bathroom comes through the joists about 10 feet away, runs horizontally until just behind the basement bath and then disappears into the floor. there are currently 3 pipes coming through the cement --the WC pipe, the shower drain and an AAC that the sink was plumbed into. On the other side of the basement (again about 10 feet, two 3 inch pipes enter the floor--one drains the kitchen sink and the other a utility sink that was there. Ok, heres the question. I can find vents for the upstairs bath, one goes through the attic just above the tub, and a second above the toilet. The two sinks are vented together on the other side. What I cant figure out is how the basment bath was vented. I suppose the shower and sink could both be on the AAC? But that cant be venting the WC could it? (Even supposing this job was not done correctly) Everything has always worked well. There are no longer any walls in the vicinity, but just next to where the waste pipe enters the floor is a brick stack. It is open to the roof, and once, I believe, served a stove on the main floor. There are "wings on it--the entire thing is about 4-5 feet wide. Is there any chance that a vent goes up that? I dont expect that the vent for the sinks could vent the toilet at all. We want to make all this correct, and need to understand what we have. Any ideas where else I can look? :confused:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It may not have been vented right.

Most of the time, you would see a vent going up to the second floor and being tied in at 42" above that floor.

If you have an AAV, that may have been for the first floor plumbing.
If you go with an AAV, then the toilet could also be using it.

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited:

kellyb

Reaction score
we intend to vent it properly. But the AAV could be currently venting it all? I hadnt thought that would be the case. thanks.
another question: the vent stack that vents the sinks has nothing draining into above that--I think we will drain a new utility sink and the washer into it, and then somewhere above that, the upstairs kitchen sink vents into that stack. I assume 42 inches above the floor. :)
Can we run a 2 1/2 or 3 inch vent pipe up from the basement bathroom drains, run it between the floor joists in the upstairs floor and join it to this vent stack at that point?

Last edited:

kellyb

Reaction score
so does this work? My biggest questions are A. Height of the horizontal vent? B. ok to tie into that stack? It is about 10 feet away.
I suspect that someone will say hire a professional, and ok, but I like to know what I need before I do that.

thanks!

Attachments

• venting.jpg
    venting.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,064
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks