(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: can vent go down few inch?

Default can vent go down few inch?

I need to join a washing machine vent into an existing vertical vent line which is in another room. Because there is a beam, the new washing machine vent will go up, go horizontal and then go down about 5" to connect to the existing vertical vent line. Is that 5" down ok?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Plumbing in MA without a license can get you in trouble! For a vent to work, it must not have a belly, or low spot just like a drain. Once it is assigned to be a vent, it must slope up all the way to the atmosphere. This is to allow any condensation, rain, snow, etc., to not fill up the low spots because it can drain out. If that line is truly a vent, then you cannot run the WM drain into it, but it can be the vent if you don't have a belly in the run to it, and the distance from the trap is within 5' if it is 2" pipe. Once a vent, always a vent. Once a drain, always a drain. To change the function means you must replace it with a new run so the vent or drain function is not compromised.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

TEchnically, No!, but since it appears that water can drain both ways from the drop location it should work, assuming your description is actually the way it is installed.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    TEchnically, No!, but since it appears that water can drain both ways from the drop location it should work, assuming your description is actually the way it is installed.
    Here is my case on the draw. I cannot see any risk of water blocking the vent.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP MACPLUMB 777's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Instead of dropping 5" what about going up 10" or 12" and tie in above the joist !

Which is what plumbers do

MACPLUMB 777

JERRYMAC@TROJANWORLDWIDE.COM

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER
    AND BOILERS SINCE JAN, 1989

281-706-1631 7 DYS A WEEK SALES AND TECH. SUPPORT
    Trojan Worldwide Web Site

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

We don't know what kind of distances or obstacles you have to deal with. I would rather run the entire horizontal drain below the joist or go up into the the wall of the floor above to tie in. If it is a long distance, I would look for a better/closer place to run a new vertical vent through to the attic and tie in there.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Instead of dropping 5" what about going up 10" or 12" and tie in above the joist !

Which is what plumbers do
    That one makes me smile. We plumbers just hate talking to inspectors, and find it way easier to just do anything to prevent that conversation.
    I can drill holes in walls like nobody's business. I would much rather swiss cheese the home in the right places and be done with it.

What hj says is right too, It would drain both ways. But if I have an inspector coming out, I'm just drilling the holes. In fact, I'm so well trained in that regard, that I drill em anyway.

Don't they call that a trap around here?