Ejector pump venting

Users who are viewing this thread

catmandu

Reaction score
Hello, I have found many answers over the years here, but now my search has come up a little empty, so I registered for my first post.

Finishing the basement, which was roughed in for two full baths via ejector pump. The existing plumbing on the upper two floors uses a single 2" vent line, no other vent lines anywhere on the roof, so no dedicated vent put in for the ejector pit. The pit is not convenient to any chase or void to the roof without demolition, although it is adjacent to an exterior wall. The main 4" drain running horizontally across the ceiling of the basement (and then to the septic) has, near the end, one 2" clean-out in a relatively horizontal position which I assume is the place for the pit discharge, and then a 2" vertical line which I assume is vent.

I have learned under no circumstance should the pit use an AAV, and rightfully it should have a dedicated roof vent. But, given what I have, what is the lesser of the two evils: using the 2" vent line (along with all the new basement drains) or running a 1" vent out the adjacent exterior wall (basically at street level)?

Last edited:

catmandu

Reaction score
2006 National Standard Plumbing code, so not without some effort.

Actually read the list of recent thread topics instead of searching, and found the one on this subject from two weeks ago where hj says he's done the tie in thing many a time. Don't particular care for the exterior pipe to the roof option (no offense, Terry).

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you think it would be OK to vent out the wall at street level, you might at well just go to the bathroom in the yard.

I've put 1-1/2 and 2" drain and vent pipes vertically through the walls of stick-framed houses without any demo, and some without opening the wall up at all. It's just a matter of measuring and drilling in the right place.

There are many easy ways to do something wrong, but only a few ways to do it right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks