Thermal expansion tank / pressure surge

Users who are viewing this thread

purduephotog

Reaction score
Slowly bringing the home we bought up to code. I'm replacing the wh and installing a thermal expansion tank as per code. I've monitored the water pressure and seen, on average, 60psi. Unfortunately the tattle sometimes is seen at 160 psi. I have no prv and, as far as I can tell, am in an open system. When the water authority comes out to swap the meter I've been told the new one will include a check valve.

That said, and I'm absolutely terrified of a blown thermal tank (thanks for the horror flood stories) what can I do to minimize the risk. I truly doubt my water pressure is hitting 160psi as the tank isn't weeping. I do not have a continuous logger running.

The tank is 10 lf or 20 piped feet from the sump.

I have to install bvent as well, thus cutting down further any space around the heater.

Suggestions?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As far as I know, having a meter with a check valve and a PRV with a check valve won't cause any problems.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When the expansion tank 'dies', it usually doesn't leak. The flexible bladder inside fails and the tank itself fills up with water. When that happens, in a closed system, the expansion will usually cause the T&P valve on the WH to release some. Depending on how much hot water you used, it may only take a few ounces to reduce the pressure below the trip point of the T&P. Normally, those are set to 150#. If yours didn't release then, it might be defective. You should open it manually to see if it 'sticks' and be prepared to replace it if it does. It is possible you have some other valve(s) in the house that leak when the pressure rises - some toilet fill valves will do this, and the water they release just goes down the drain. Stressing the hoses and fittings in the house is not good - there's a reason code limits the internal pressure in a house. You want a safety margin. On the WH, if you install it with a pan, you can run the drain anywhere you want to help contain the water. you could look at www.wagsvalve.com and install one of these - if the tank leaks, it will shut the water supply to it off. It must be installed with a pan or a dam to retain enough water to trigger the thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks