whole house water filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Billfig

Reaction score
Hi, got a softener and a small 10-12" filter using the carbon cartridges. Sears has a 3' floor job on sale for 200.00 which is carbon too and supposed to last 10 yrs.?? I've had descent luck with their softeners for 25 yrs.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
How long the filter works would be entirely dependent on what you are filtering. If there are any solid particles such as sand or precipitated iron, you would be better served by a filter that automatically back-washes.

Billfig

Reaction score
Yea I got my small whole house between bladder tank and softener and it does get restricted with like super fine rust-mud stuff? In fact after I drained & flushed tanks and chlorinated well last week my BN filter plugged right up! PITA they usually last a month or so...? I'm thinking with this unit which does clean itself/backflush, it would be cheaper and easier...as long as it does what I expect it to and not be a POS!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Not a fan of that unit. Unless you are on an extremely tight budget, I would recommend a 1.5 cu. ft. GAC backwashing system with any Fleck valve over that unit. A decent control valve costs more than that entire unit does. Carbons ability to remove organic chemicals, pesticides etc is based on contact time. A gac cartridge for a house is basically a waste unless you are soley trying to remove Chlorine. It will do that ok, even at higher than ideal flow rates.

Christopher Piper

Reaction score
Separate filters for separate purposes is always going to be better than 'combo' type media. The odds of a combo sediment/carbon filter running out of sediment trap space and carbon sites anywhere near the same time is a crap shoot at best. Much better to run a sediment filter, followed by a carbon, then into the softener. Then, each can be proper for it's particular job. The carbon filter and softener won't get mudded up by sediment, and will last quite a bit longer. If you go with a backwashing sediment filter (sand, media, whatever), you will only ever have to worry about changing out the carbon filter when you start getting breakthrough.

Billfig

Reaction score
you guys are right. I am on an extremely tight budget too! I should plumb my small (2x10) whole house after bladder then to this floor job, then into softener..correct? After all that work and expense, I would really hope it all works ok. I did renew my bladder tank and softener lasy year and just cleaned out the hw tank & stuck a spare anode in to replace the "well sacrificed" one.:)

Billfig

Reaction score
Well after considering all you guys great input I think I should just wait and pass on this device. After 25 yrs. here I think I finally am realizing a good setup..haha! A metered backflushing sediment only device "which I do need" then "maybe" an iron neutralizer to address that greenish crud that forms on pipes(only up till hotwater tank inlet-after that..seems fine) then maybe a taste filter. seems with all that stuff, I'll be fighting low psi throughout house?
I saw this on CL..Ionics FA timer-controlled fully automatic fiberglass Water Treatment System. Removes iron, chlorine taste and odor, acid neutralizer, sediment filter. Uses potassium permanganate in small tank. No longer needed as we are now on city water $100.00. but I should prolly stay away from a "do-all system" and who knows how old it is or what it "might" need?

Attachments

• 3L43N33H45N85G85E1cc68d86938e7d811b5b.jpg
    3L43N33H45N85G85E1cc68d86938e7d811b5b.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 553

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
then "maybe" an iron neutralizer to address that greenish crud that forms on pipes(only up till hotwater tank inlet-after that..seems fine) then maybe a taste filter.

If the greenish crud forms on the OUTSIDE of copper cold water pipes no water treatment system can change that. Copper oxide is green and condensation forming on cold water pipes will result in some copper oxide on the outside of the pipes.

Billfig

Reaction score
If the greenish crud forms on the OUTSIDE of copper cold water pipes no water treatment system can change that. Copper oxide is green and condensation forming on cold water pipes will result in some copper oxide on the outside of the pipes.
Oh good then..:)

carol efaw

Reaction score
We installed an Aquasana whole house water filtering system. It has several cartridges/filters. The first one between the system and the street is supposed to be replaced maybe twice a year. But we are finding that we are replacing it every month. The white filter is literally dark brown. Was the unit installed incorrectly or should we contact the city water department? Thanks.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Are you replacing the filter because it is getting dirty? Filters are supposed to get dirty, this is normal. Torrance and the surrounding areas have a small amount of sediment in the water. Dont replace them because they are dirty, wait until you start to notice a differential across the filter to see how long it actually lasts (lower pressure). Most municipal water supplies in Southern California have very little sediment and the filter can look white for many years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks