Replacing shutoff valve (toilet supply) on metal pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

TSGarp007

Reaction score
First post here from a new home owner, thanks in advance for any responses.

I am on to my second bathroom redo, this one is giving me some pause. When I tried to shutoff the water supply to the toilet, I was initially dismayed at finding that the valve handle was plastic. Then I was further disheartened when I could not fully shutoff the flow of water. I removed the valve handle to find that even the piece connected to the handle was plastic. I tried using a wrench to grip the plastic and turn it tighter, but can't get too crazy or I will just destroy the plastic.

I would like to replace this shutoff valve with another one (not plastic this time). The pipe is metal, it appears to me to be of the color of galvanized pipe I think... I'm pretty sure I have copper inside the walls. I'm hoping if this is the case that the joints are done properly to resist corrosion.

The pipe coming out of the wall appears as if it has an inner and outer pipe, (diameter gets slightly larger about 3/4" to 1" from the wall).

I don't have any real plumbing experience that involves cutting pipes, etc. I'm willing to buy the right tools if it's not too expensive, and glad to have the learning experience.

toilet-shutoff-long.jpg

Any advice?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That looks like a galvanized pipe nipple. If it is, the better thing would be to replace it with a brass one. Regardless of the fact it is galvanized, it will rust after awhile giving you grief. THey use galvanized not because it resists rust, but because it is cheaper than brass which will outlive both of us. So, it's hard to tell for sure, and if you unscrew that pipe from the fitting in the wall, you may not get a brass one in without tearing up the wall (it might move when you remove the nipple), you have two choices, cut the wall open a little bit to see what's there and then fix it, or just unscrew the existing valve from the nipple, screw a new one on, and hope. You will need to use two wrenches/pliers - one to hold the pipe sticking out and the other to remove the valve. You don't want to loosen the nipple's threaded connection in the wall or it may leak.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you get the pipe problem resolved, then you need to get a good valve. The most popular shut off for toilets is the 1/4 turn models. These come in various configurations; angled, screw on, compression, or solder so it shouldn't be difficult to find one that fits your needs. Keep in mind that if you have to open the wall, dry wall is really a pretty simple repair job. The worst of it is having to repaint at least the entire wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks