Lost pressure, then major humming

Users who are viewing this thread

Michaeleast1

Reaction score
I am new to the well world. We just bought this house and I've noticed since we've lived here, when running water, we will lose all pressure. We will have no water coming out the faucet or shower for 1 - 2 seconds. Then I hear a click by the tank, and then walla, we have water and pressure again. I added a new refrigerater w/ice maker. After first hooking this up, it made a boatload of ice. Now, it takes long periods of time to get much ice. The owners manual blames this on low pressure. Well, Yesterday, I lost pressure, heard the click, and suddenly it started humming extremely loud. Now it hums everytime when the pump kicks in. Its extremely loud and last's about 30-45 seconds and stops. Bad thing is, I can't tell what's humming. I know its either the blue tank, or something near it. Its hard to explain. It kinda scary!

Mike

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Where is the pump? in the ground or near the blue tank?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Note, I'm not a pro, but the symptoms imply that your storage (pressure) tank is shot or there is a major leak somewhere (could be back into the well, but I don't think so). It really points to the tank, though. Let me explain. A 'normal' system uses a storage tank. The pump fills that tank up part way, compressing some trapped air (there are bladder tanks and - I don't remember the exact name, but a tank where air is over the water in the same tank - i.e., no bladder). This is so that when you open a faucet, you have some water under pressure, and the pump doesn't have to run. So, if you have no water when you open a faucet, there is no air trapped anywhere. Since water basically doesn't compress, as soon as you open that faucet, the pressure drops to zero, or thereabouts, and the pump turns on. Check your pressure gauge. If you have a bladder tank, it will have an air valve (similar to a tire valve). Take the cap off, press the valve slightly. I'll bet you get some water out. If so, replace the tank. If this has been going on for a long time, you might burn up your pump. Check the tank first, though.

Michaeleast1

Reaction score
No water from the valve

I took the cap off the valve and slightly depressed it. Air came out, but no water. Let me explain further incase I mislead at first. When I turn faucets on, there is pressure and water for awhile. I lose all pressure after a few minutes of running the water, and then the pump kicks in. The pressure valve hover at 60psi. The tank is in my laundry room. There is also a box which says pumptrol on the pipe leading into the tank. There is also the filter which is beside the tank. I double checked the valve on that to insure I hadent turned it only halfway back on since I last changed the filter. It is fine. This humm is so loud that I cant really tell if its coming from the box or the tank. I have squeezed the pipes to try and humble the sound, but nothing works.

Speedbump

Reaction score
The reason the pump is turning on after the water pressure stops is one of two things.

The pipe under the pressure switch that feeds pressure to it can get plugged with mineral causing a delay in the switch actually seeing the pressure change necessary to make it turn or off.

The other thing is if you have a bladder tank, which I think you do. The tank could have a higher air charge than the switch is set for causing a delay when the tank actually goes completely empty before the switch was ready to turn the pump on. Or both # 1 and 2.

What the humming is, I'm not sure. Since it just started for no apparent reason.

bob...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I agree with Bob and the switch not seeing the pressure decrease in real time; lagging but... Humming is electrical, usually, that would be an electricians domain but... this box, is that the pressure switch or a 3 wire pump's control box? What size box is it and are there any stickers or other info on it?

I suspect it is the control box and not the switch. The control box has the potential to make this humming noise. Otherwise the pump's motor could be humming and causing a vibration in the plumbing and you hear that. Is the pump in the room or in the well?

So.. I suggest you need to call a pump guy or well driller to electrically check the pump; ohms, amp draw, conductivity and for shorts. Usually they will have a new control box with them if yours is 'bad'. They will tell you the condition of the pump motor and cable etc..

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Michaeleast1

Reaction score
It is fixed

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was standing over the tank and filter when it was humming. In an attempt to discover where the humming was coming from, I turned to valve on top of the filter to shut the water off. About halfway between the turn, the humming stopped, but the water was still flowing. Out of curiosity, I changed the filter, and it humms no more. I cant explain it, but glad I dont have to hear that any longer. I just changed the filter a few weeks ago. It really wasnt that dirty. But hey, it worked. Maybe its just that brand of filter.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I ran into a similar problem once, thats why I asked about the filters.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks