Two designs of a new washroom for review

Users who are viewing this thread

Buttonsrtoys

Reaction score
I'm adding a half-bath to on the first floor and tying into an existing sanitary line for the full bath above. Below are two designs. Design "A" runs the vent for the half-bath above the flood level of the fixtures in the full bath. Design "B" is a bit simpler on paper, but the existing riser is in an exterior wall next to a post at the point of the tie-in, so its a bit trickier to build than design "A". The sketches don't show the jogs in plan-view, which some lengths I relate may look out of scale.

I annotated the sketches with ABS pipe sizes and lengths. Blue lines are the existing sanitary, green is the new.

Are both of these designs OK? Code-wise, I'm in Nova Scotia.

WashroomA.jpg
WashroomB.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Desigh "A" is the only one that will work and that assumes you actually install it the way it is drawn. "B" would not pass any code that I am aware of.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
"B" is not acceptable because once the line has been used for a drain, it can no longer be used as a vent. The only exception is the wet vent of the water closet past the lavatory.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
"B" is the old "single stack" plumbing system design, as far as I know it was outlawed in the early part of the last century.
Also, in "A", I think you need to keep the toilet/lav vent size at 2 inches all the way up, rather than reducing down to 1 1/2
inch as shown.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A

And like mentioned above, keep the lav, including the vent, 2" all the way up to the next floor on the revent.
You can use the 1.5" traparm for the p-trap on the lav.

Below is an example of wet venting

dwv_b1.jpg

Last edited:

Buttonsrtoys

Reaction score
quote; Wet venting makes my head spin

Wet venting is simple, but your ""B" is an illegal "wet vent" because you cannot wet vent between floors.

Ah. That clarifies what was confusing me. So wet vents are OK provided their short/restricted to the same floor. Thanks! Now I'm curious - why are long wet vents between floors a problem?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks