Wire Humidistat Directly to Dehumidifier

Users who are viewing this thread

K2

Reaction score
Website
www.draghead.com
Hello,

I need some help wiring my humidistat to the dehumidifier.

I'm using the H46C from Honeywell, and I have a Santa Fe Impact dehumidifier. The humidistat is in the basement finished room and the dehumidifier is in an adjacent unfinished portion of the basement. It is ducted to the the finished room.

I have wired it as noted in the Honeywell diagram connecting to the dehumidifier, yet the compressor never actually kicks on, no matter WHAT RH% level I choose. The fan 'always on' button will start the fan. I feel like the diagram is incorrect, or I'm getting my wires crossed (too much pun for Saturday night?).

here is the thermostat wiring diagram: http://cache.air-n-water.com/manuals/honeywell-h46e1013.pdf

here is the wiring diagram for the dehumidifier (page 7 is wiring diagram): http://www.sylvane.com/images/prodphoto/sa2540/santa-fe-impact-xt-dehumidifier-manual.pdf

Any help would be appreciated, I'd like the entertainment room to be somewhat DRY for the game tomorrow!
thanks,
kurt

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
Use the schematic for the unit. Ignore the Honeywell diagram. #8 is one side of the stat, #13 & #14 tied together is the other side of the stat.
Verify the stat is rated for 120v "line voltage."

K2

Reaction score
Website
www.draghead.com
Thanks for the reply. I did validate it is rated for 'line voltage':
The H46C Humidity Controller is used with portable and
central unit dehumidifiers to maintain relative humidity.
The H46 has an spst, snap-acting switch designed for
line voltage circuits and two leadwires for switch box
mounting.

2 clarifying questions:
1) So if I understand correctly I definitely wired this incorrectly because I connected red from the humidistat to the REd-6 on the compressor, and the black from humidistat to the yellow on the compressor. I SHOULD have taken Red to 13/14 and black to #8. Is that correct?
2) Since this is a switch, does it matter which way the wires are wired?

Thanks,
Kurt

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without looking at the schematics, if you connected the low-voltage control lines (24vac) to the power inlet of the dehumidifer rather than switching line voltage to it, you may have burned out the 24vac transformer and damaged the dehumidifer. Probably not, but it is possible.

A SPST switch doesn't care which side is the load or the supply. SPST stands for single pole, single throw, and it's just a simple on/off action that connects to leads together. If it was an electronic switch (something like a triac), it might matter, but if it's mechanical, it doesn't.

The bigger question is whether that switch is rated to switch enough power - it might only be able to handle a low current load (say a power contactor's coil) verses actually power the humidifer on and off.

Last edited:

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I did validate it is rated for 'line voltage':
The H46C Humidity Controller is used with portable and
central unit dehumidifiers to maintain relative humidity.
The H46 has an spst, snap-acting switch designed for
line voltage circuits and two leadwires for switch box
mounting.

2 clarifying questions:
1) So if I understand correctly I definitely wired this incorrectly because I connected red from the humidistat to the REd-6 on the compressor, and the black from humidistat to the yellow on the compressor. I SHOULD have taken Red to 13/14 and black to #8. Is that correct?Correctr
2) Since this is a switch, does it matter which way the wires are wired?

Thanks,
Kurt

Bond the ground wire to any metal/ground wires both ends.

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
Without looking at the schematics, if you connected the low-voltage control lines (24vac) to the power inlet of the dehumidifer rather than switching line voltage to it, you may have burned out the 24vac transformer and damaged the dehumidifer. Probably not, but it is possible.

He has all line voltage controls Jim.

K2

Reaction score
Website
www.draghead.com
Big2bird,
can i ask a follow up question:
in the picture below, the clip on the right is the 13/14 (co-joined) and the one on the left, as marked is the blk8.

Can I simply push the wire from the thermostat through the holes and let the clamps compression fit each one, or would I have to splice it into the wires before it gets to that little terminal? If I have to splice it, would i have to cut and splice all three together? (13/14 and thermostat wire)?

I'm trying not to hack the electrical more than I already have on this poor dehumdifier.

IMG_0743[1].jpg

Last edited:

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
Those wires are terminated on the units stat. To use your remote unit as control, you need to pull those jumpers off that local stat. Splice one wire from your stat to #8 with a wire nut, and splice the other WITH #13 & #14 together in one wire nut.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks