Help eliminating glare on worktable from overhead fixtures

Users who are viewing this thread

AcidWater

Reaction score
I have a 4x8 work table that's used for all sorts of activities. The ceiling is not too far above it; the joist bottoms are 4'10" but hanging a light puts the bottom of the fixture more like 4' 4" above the table.

I get glare when placing coated paper (magazines, etc) on the table.

I've got 4' fluorescent fixtures with a white plastic diffuser. Tried hanging them down the center of the table, and just now moved them so one is along each edge. Still get glare. The location where the glare reflects from changes when I move my body; it seems to be a certain angle of reflection. If I tilt the object a little to reduce make the angle from table to my eyes closer to 90 degrees the glare goes away.

Aside from wearing polarized sunglasses, what can be done to locate the fixtures to get rid of glare?

Is there some specialized diffuser that I could get?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
My dentist's office has wall-mounted fluorescent fixtures which are pointed up at the white ceiling, and the light reflects down. I was thinking of using something similar in some areas of my house.

AcidWater

Reaction score
Need to illuminate the TABLE not the walls. Bouncing off the ceiling only works for a high ceiling. Basement is less than 8' high.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Put the lights over your head so the light reflects away from you. Place them where you will not be in your own shadow, however. If the surface reflects light into your eyes there will ALWAYS be a glare.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Reflective surfaces like your glossy paper will always reflect things. The angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection...basic physics. Lights directly over the table WILL reflect directly back up - it's like a mirror. You need to sidelight things to bounce the light away from your eyes, but still illuminate the subject matter. But, that will potentially bounce it into your eyes as well...you may not get a choice of too many positions where the light is right.

AcidWater

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that there are people all around the table, so can't use a light behind one person.

I've seen business lighting sights talk about their techniques; diamond diffusers, polarizing filters, etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks