Outlet inside peninsula cabinet

Users who are viewing this thread

JMingrone

Reaction score
I'd like to put a utility outlet on the end of a peninsula. The cabinet is a slide out trash container and there's enough clearance inside for a shallow outlet box, so no problem there. What i'm not sure is how you run the cable to the box. Plain old Romex? Wire mold? Other? The feed comes up through the floor from the basement.

Thanks,

Jay

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Plain old romex if nothing is going to beat it up when the trash container is used. The feed is supposed to come off of the GFCI protected kitchen counter top circuit.

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
I'd like to put a utility outlet on the end of a peninsula. The cabinet is a slide out trash container and there's enough clearance inside for a shallow outlet box, so no problem there. What i'm not sure is how you run the cable to the box. Plain old Romex? Wire mold? Other? The feed comes up through the floor from the basement.

Thanks,

Jay
I would use M/C 90 to feed this, and find a way to get a deeper box in there. Perhaps a 52OW, and have it stick inside the cabinet. We do that for school labs all the time.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can always use a GFCI breaker rather than trying to use a GFCI recepticle if depth is an issue. It's just that resetting it may be more of an annoyance but the thing should not trip it, and if it's dedicated, it normally won't be an issue.

JMingrone

Reaction score
Well, after all the careful planning, I feel really foolish about not having run a branch off either of my 2 GFI countertop circuits, which would have been simple before the walls were up!

Jim- good idea about a GFI BREAKER as a work-around.

Jay

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Jim- good idea about a GFI BREAKER as a work-around.

I assume your circuit breaker panel is in the basement. Here it would be outdoors, and would not be "fun" to have to go outside to reset it, especially if it was raining like it was last evening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks